This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looking at a 102

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Friar_Tuck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Looking at a 102

Postby Friar_Tuck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:25 am

Hello there,
I am looking at a cadet 102
It seems to run well, with no smoke, started with the starter/generator.
Has some rust here and there but looks sound. Has the creeper gear. Original hard rubber seat looks uncracked.
The deck operated, it looks a bit rusty, but spins and doesn't make too much noise.
Steering has a bit of slop, but looks to be mostly at the tie rods. Front wheel bearings need replacing.
The seller is firm at $300
I was wondering if there are things I should be looking for one this model, as this will be my first cadet?
My hopes are to use this at the hunting shack, mowing my well groomed trails, then maybe doing a restore during the winter.
Thanks,
Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Looking at a 102

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 am

Jim:

I only have one CC - a 129 which came from it's PO's cottage where it served well in semi-retirement for many years until the deck rotted out. The 129 is in great shape with some surface rust and decks are available. Some of my friends have older Cub Cadets as well and just love them. Gord has a 108 that he just cleaned up a bit, changed the fluids and it has been running nicely for a couple years now. He paid around $350.00 for it with the deck. Got a blower for it as well which needed some major work.

These are well worth the money if it is in good shape, runs and not too much rust. They will serve well at the camp for you and if you are actually going to restore it, then it will last even longer. Definitely an option. You can get them cheaper, but you will have to wait and search. The price really depends on what you are comfortable with.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:44 am

The value of a Cadet really depends on the condition and the accesories. You said it had a creeper gear, they will bring $150 on ebay for just that. If it runs good, is in presentable condition, and the deck is good it is worth that.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Price is quite reasonable for a Cub Cadet in working condition. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, repairs are not that difficult. Tractor parts are available from a Cub Cadet or IH dealer. Engine and some other parts from an auto parts store. My favorite source is to buy a parts tractor with deck.

Keep the mower deck spindles greased - every time before you mow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Jim, they're good solid tractors. It looks like this one has several years left in it. Address the rusty deck first, and you'll be happy with it..
Regards, Stan

johnny-farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24319
Tractors Owned: 53 super m ,52 h,50c,53 superc,50 demonstrator c,50 cub,

Postby johnny-farmall » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:15 pm

I have a couple of the 102 cub cadets, it seems like a good price since it has the creeper gear. I would give 300 for it in a heartbeat. But in my area there isnt many ih cadets left to choose from!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:48 pm

What attachments come with it? The creeper on ebay i have seen go for $200 too in the past. And $300 for a running cadet with creeper is a go, go for it!!!!

Adjusting the large nut on the steering box, with some new tie rod ends and some front wheel berings is no biggie if she runs. Right now my 104 needs a PTO and clutch bearing and it will be 100% excellent to the point i could sell it with no comebacks. My problem is once i repair them and they grow some roots in my yard i hate to part with them.

Grease the mower deck right away, grease the steering box after you make sure the large nut on the side lever is snugged up.

I have a 100 and a 104 both the same 10hp. These are my favorite machines to work/play with. My 104 was left outside for a few years and in a shed before that. It was rusted but like new in side. With some disassembly, some wire brushing after i heard it run of course with a new head gasket i primed and painted her up. It seems that every used cadet needs a headgasket. I sharpened up the 38'' mower deck and mowed with it ever since(trimming). I have a few different numbered cub cadets and the 100,102 and the 104 narrow frames seem to be the best to me. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Cub Cadet”