This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydrostat oil change

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydrostat oil change

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:41 pm

Cub 105, hydrostat. Is there a drain plug on the transaxle? If not how do you drain the transaxle?

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:06 pm

If it's like my 127, and I think it is, then you have to pull the tranny back cover and let her flow. One trick is to just loosen the bolts to where you can crack the seal. No other way around it. Be sure to change the filter and replace the fluid with Hy-Tran. You will need a new cover gasket too. Put it on dry, no sealer.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:35 pm

Be ready for a flood of about 2 gallons of fluid (14 pints) when you crack that rear cover. It is best to use Case IH Hy-Tran rather than some other brand that says it meets all spec's, because of Hy-Trans ability to absorb water/moisture, and ALL Cub Cadet transaxles will contain water if from nothing more than condensation.

For the filter be sure to use a hydraulic fluid filter and not an oil filter that fits, because the two are not made the same internally, and you will have a hydro failure sooner or later if you use an oil filter.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Thanks

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:44 am

Thanks for the response.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Hydrostat Oil Change

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:35 pm

Dumped the oil in the hydrostat and changed the filter. Below 20 degrees for the past several days. Found clumps of ice in the rear end. Have the Cub, with the rear plate off, sitting on it's rear end over a drain pan. Will wait several days until it warms up so that the ice/water will drain out.

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:03 pm

Spray the inside of the diff housing with brake cleaner to remove any residue before you re-assemble.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Thanks

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:49 am

Ken:

That's a good idea, thanks. I was going to wipe it down, then blow it out with the vacuum cleaner on exhaust to warm things up and remove any remaining moisture.

Eugene

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:43 am

Eugene - unless your vacuum cleaner is different from most I've seen, I would not use the exhaust to dry the inside of any mechanical component. The filtration system on most vacuums will pass enough junk through the system to significantly contaminate the inside of your hydro. Even wiping it out will not remove all the fine grit that will be blown in there. The brake cleaner will clean the existing deposits and displace the water which should solve your problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Vacuum Cleaner Story

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:12 am

Had just moved into a newly purchased house. Fireplace contained a hugh pile of ashes. I grabbed the shop vac and started cleaning out the ash. In a few minutes things were getting very dark in the room. I turned around from my clean up to find air in the room filled with ash. It took weeks to clean up the mess.

Eugene

Return to “Cub Cadet”