Compression Release

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:20 pm

Does the 10 HP Kohler engine K241 have a compression release to ease starting? Rebuilt the engine, cranks easily without the spark plug. Cranks until the compression stroke then turns very hard. Even used a booster battery to assit in cranking.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:39 pm

Sounds like a starter problem to me. I rope pull a 12 horse Techumsa on my splitter. Course the other day at -20 i had to uncouple the pump, start the engine and when it was warm Rebolt the pump and pull again. When the oil was warm it started easy enough. I don't know if a Kohler has splash or pump lubrication. If pump, stiff oil can add to the problem.

Bill

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:24 pm

Eugene
If the engine has a spec number suffix of "D" or higher, yes it should automatic compression release.

Thanks

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:07 am

I'll check the specs. I checked the engine timing with a timing light and and set the timing a bit retarded for the initial start. Engine has fuel and fire and lots of compression. I have a second K241 that I just rebuilt and it has about 20 PSI during cranking. I will swap engines, pull this one apart and double check everything again.

Thanks, Eguene

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:13 am

Eugene: 20 PSI compression would indicate that the compression release is working. Your S/G should actually turn it fast enough for the CR to kick out and and get full compression which should be over a 100 PSI. If you have a compression checker you can check compression with a rope and spin the engine back wards. Is the engine warm enough to have the oil thinned enough to start. A newly rebuilt engine are a little tighter than normal and can be hard to start. Most of this information I gathered from other people's post's and that CR can be at fault. Good luck.