This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

127 engine removal

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

127 engine removal

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:55 pm

OK, the tear down of the 127 has begun. I am at the point where I need to remove the engine. It appears that the "driveshaft" has a pin on the end that fits into the flywheel of the motor. If I remove the engine mounting bolts, can I simply slide the motor forward away from the shaft? Is it that easy or am I missing something?

Thanks, S.H.A.F.T.

PS- I hope to have the motor out this weekend and to the machine shop this week.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:48 pm

Yes I think that the motor just slides forwrad. Most people take the grill off but I don't think you have to do that but makes it a lot easier to work on. I work mostly on Originals so I am passing on what I have read on the forums.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:53 pm

William is correct. If you take out the 4 bolts that mount the grill frame to the frame, and unscrew the turnbuckle on the PTO engagement rod, then the grill and hood will lay down on the ground/floor in front of the tractor and makes it easier to move the engine around. There are 4 bolts through the frame into the engine pan, and 2 of them are above the axle and will require the front of the tractor to be raised enough to pivot the axle down on either side for access to the bolts. You might want to do this before you take the grill off.

The drive shaft has a hardened pin in it that fits into the slot on the coupler bolted to the the end of the crankshaft. That slot is supposed to be a straight slot, but it is probably worn to where it looks like a tail light bulb socket. Not suppose to look that way, and the pin is not suppose to worn the way it probably is. Good time to replace them both, and both are available from Cub Cadet dealers, but the coupler is kinda pricey. Don't bother looking for a used one because they are all just like what you (probably) have.

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

127 engine removal

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:18 pm

Thanks guys, and yes, my coupling is worn exactly as you say it is. I have the front of the tractor off, so I can just lift the motor out now.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

Return to “Cub Cadet”