Packing

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Packing

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Cub Cadet, sediment bowl shut off valve packing. I can't find o-rings or packing small enough for the shut off valve. Any ideas short of purchasing another sediment bowl?

Eugene
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Never tried it on the Cadets, but on our Hs we used to used cotton string for replacement if we couldn't find the correct material.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:14 pm

It was originally leather, but 1/8" "O" rings work very well. I had some that came from a Farm & Fleet store before they closed in this area, and have now been using some that came from the plumbing section of Lowes or Home Depot. I bought a small plastic box with 25-50 or some amount in it. I don't know what they are made out of, but so far gasoline doesn't seem to affect them. Remove the old leather packing from the stem and be sure there is none left in the housing, and then I use two of the "0" rings. Have some that have been installed over a year with no problems.
Paul B
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety Award

Question

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:33 pm

I have a supply of o-rings down to 1/8 inch. The center of the shut off valve is .100 inch - leaving small gap .025 inch. The main stem diameter is about 1/8 inch - didn't measure. I'll give two of the 1/8 o-rings a try.

Tried the several auto parts stores in the area - no luck.

Thanks.

Eugen
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety Award

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:02 pm

I needed packing on my cub and used plumbers lamp wick. It comes in a ball and has many strands. I took about 6 strands wound it around and around pushed it in as best i could and tightened the nut and fixed. The string idea is the same thing.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop
beaconlight
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 10314

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 pm

I don't know if this applies to the Cadet, and it does not to many of the Cub replacement bowls, but the original Cub sediment bowls had a backseating valve. If you didn't open them all the way, they would leak.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Cub Cadet Forum