This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sanding a Cadet

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PAUL G
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sanding a Cadet

Postby PAUL G » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:08 pm

First a bit of background. I used this forum a few years ago when I had a Farmall Cub and still continue to monitor the site because I find it very interesting and informative. In 2003 I took the Cub to Florida Flywheelers show and a collector bought it. Since then from same show I purchased a Cub Cadet 122 (Sept 66) and in Feb an Original (May 61) both in good, running, working condition.
Im restoring the 122 first, and Ive dismantled fenders, front, seat supports, tower and want to sand & prep them before proceeding further.

Im sure I will have more questions as I progress, but for now what grit of sandpaper would you start with, would you only wet sand on final prime, and is there a supplier that sells sandpaper in bulk. I see paper in ebay but I think I need 180 to 240 and most ebayers dont seem to have that.
Thank you for your input PAUL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:35 pm

Unless you have a lot of rust to sand off, I use 320 wet or dry, and use it wet. You can use a 220 or 150 aluminum oxide, dry, in a palm sander to get heavy rust or paint chips, but you will have to do a lot of sanding with finer paper to get the scratches out of both metal and any remaining paint.

Return to “Cub Cadet”