Replacement for Kohler???

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Replacement for Kohler???

Postby ly134 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Does anyone know of a direct replacement Briggs or Techumse engine that would be a direct replacement for a K301 in a model 122? The 301 lost a rod, rod cap, deeply scared the crank and broke the camshaft and a broken piston ring badly scared the cylinder to bad to salvage. A used Briggs or Tecumsee would be more readily available and much cheaper. This Cub is not to work but to build as a "Black and White Patrol Vehicle" for area parades and events, just for show.

Thanks, ly134
ly134

Postby wdeturck » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:42 pm

Lyl: I think what you will find trying to use a B&S or Tech. that the centerline of the crank won't be the right height and connecting up the drive shaft will take some reworking as A Cub Cadet use the flywheel side instead of the pulley side for connection. I did put a 8 HP B&S in an Original but since that was a belt drive I only had to get a longer belt to make up for the differences is C/L. I think the Kohler setup worked on the B&S flywheel end. You can make anything work but a used Kohler might end up less trouble
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.
wdeturck
501 Club
501 Club

Return to Cub Cadet Forum