This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

127 grill color

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

127 grill color

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:08 am

My grill should be white? When I got this CC the grill was the color you see it, black. It is covered with plastic I think, so during the painting process I hit it with the black paint I got from my IH dealer for CC's. I used the same paint for the foot rests. If it is not the original grill, it sure looks like it belongs there and the fit is perfect. Other than needing some paint, it was in very good condition.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:12 am

S.H.A.F.T.

You paint the grill what ever color you want, after all it is your tractor.

The grill on a 127 was originally cadmium plated when IH built it, but there is no way of knowing what previous owners may have done to them. Some people paint them black because it does not show the dirt from the engine and it blends with the black headlight panel. The heat from the cross mounted muffler would also help cause the grill to rust over time, and they would get painted or coated because of that.

Some of the sales brochures (which are not always the best source of reference material) make the plated grill's appear to be white in color, but the only grills that were painted white originally, are the ones on the Original model built from 1961-63, and the 70 & 100 built from 1963-65. All the others were plated until the wide frame models with the black, waffle pattern, plastic grills (models 86,1X8/1X9 built from 9/71 till 10/74), and the black painted expanded metal grill and black perforated metal headlight panel of the Quietline models (800-1650, built 10/74 till 6/80). The "red" 82 series (built from 7/80 till 4/81 by IH, and untill 1985 by CCC) had a silver painted grill with a black screen behind the grill, and black perforated metal panel for a headlight panel.

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:21 pm

Paul, I wish you could see the one that is on the 127. After reading your last post, I would best descrbe it as a plastic coated, expanded metal grill. It is held in place with two cleverly designed spring retainers. I doubt if it was ever repainted since the tractor had not been. Perhaps early in its life the original grill got smashed and the replacement grills came black. That is about as far as I can describe it. Thanks for you very informative post.

S.H.A.F.T.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:14 pm

S.H.A.F.T.
The original springs that hold the grill in are best described as being cone shaped with a hook down through the center. I am not aware of any replacement grills being black or 'plastic'coated, but I suppose they could have been. I would be more inclined to think that a previous owner may have either made the grill from some coated expended metal, or used a coating similar to the stuff you dip tool handles in, as a means of preventing the grill from rusting. If you want to email me with your email address, I can email you a picture of the original grill in my 127, if you care to see what it looks like. I cannot post a picture because I don't have a host site to put a picture on.

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:51 pm

Thanks! My e-mail address is cpembry@msn.com.

Send away!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:53 am

Hey S.H.A.F.T. Sorry for any confusion that I may have caused about the color of your 127 grill. :cry: Paul & I had a discussion about this at Cubfest...and he is right about the grills being a cadmium color from the factory :wink:

BUT...it is your Cub Cadet and we BOTH agree that you should paint it the color you want (or keep the color you have now). :wink:

Have you checked out the source I suggested for replacement decals :D ? If you're planning on using any implements with your 127 ( plow, cultivator,etc.)...you may want to decide to install a 3 point hitch to accomadate a sleeve hitch or a category "O" 3-point hitch :D . There are several sleeve hitches and 3-points on "E-PAY" at the moment. GOOD LUCK S.H.A.F.T. with your 127!!! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:03 pm

Country, it already has a three point on it from the factory. I have a mower deck for it and a snow thrower too. I would rather have the correct grill, but I must say that I like the look of the black grill. I must have bad luck with grills because my 48' Farmall Cub has the much later 4-bar grill. At least that grill is in real nice shape. Maybe I could trade for the orignial style wire grill.

S.H.A.F.T.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:16 pm

THAT'S GREAT S.H.A.F.T. :wink: ! Those 3-point hitches are getting expensive now a days :shock: !

Being a PA boy, you're probably gonna wanna git that 127 in the dirt one of these days at the IH Cub Cadet Plowdays :D . If that's the case, you may want to explore getting Ag tires and Cadet rear wheel weights (the same as Cub front wheel weights). These have been showing up on "E-Pay" pretty regularly and they're going for about $90.00 to $100.00 a set :oops: . Add in the cost of a Brinly hitch (at about $80.00) :oops: , plus a Brinly plow (about $100.00) :oops: and the Ag tires 8) ...and you'll be GOOD-TA-GO! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Cub Cadet”