Mule drive "J" bolt

Mon May 19, 2014 7:01 am

Been noticing that my deck engagement hasn't been "crisp" lately, and the blades would hardly handle any tall grass. Looking around for a bad belt, I noticed that the "J" bolt was missing. Luckily, I had another old mule drive in the barn with one in it. Instead of a nyloc nut, it now has double jam. I have no idea how long it had been missing, but it "chirps" when you engage again.. There must be a couple of different bolts, as I'm sure the original was 5/16, and this one appears to be 1/4. (got me out of a bind anyhow) Look at her throw grass now!! hehe
Regards,
Stan

Re: Mule drive "J" bolt

Mon May 19, 2014 7:10 am

Glad you found the cause w/o too much trouble.

My 44C deck has a tendency for the idle ratchet (bar you push in and lock so it relieves tension on the belt) bolt to come undone and fall out. I'll have to double nut it too. But when the tension is not right, you don't hear the "chirp" when the PTO is engaged and it makes an awful racket when running.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:29 am

That may have also been a clue... Was kinda quiet with the missing bolt.. hehe

Tue May 20, 2014 5:59 am

So....if I don't hear a chirp when I engage the PTO on my Quite lines, I need to tighten the belt via the J-bolt?

Tue May 20, 2014 6:48 am

randallc wrote:So....if I don't hear a chirp when I engage the PTO on my Quite lines, I need to tighten the belt via the J-bolt?

I'll let others have the definitive word on that, but when I first used mine last year, it always chirped as the PTO engaged. When the old belt finally broke and I replaced it, I started having some issues with the J-bolt and tension. So, I've had some adjusting issues with the newer belt--it doesn't always chirp.