This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

102 clutch reassembly order

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

102 clutch reassembly order

Postby Chris Jones » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:57 pm

Is this the correct order to reassemble the clutch?
In specific is the washer in the picture supposed to go between the clutch plate and the teaser spring or where?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:02 pm

The washers go on either end of the main (long) spring. The parts are installed on the shaft in the following order according to the manual : flat washer, loading (long) spring, flat washer, release bearing (long sleeve end forward), release lever (channel flanges toward rear) and the teaser spring. Then the coiled spring in the second hole from the front end of the shaft, rear pressure plate, clutch disc, front pressure plate with coiled pin. Lubricate the shaft area where the release bearing and teaser spring will be (that is the area that is worn in the shaft you pictured) and then compress the main spring and install the rear coiled pin.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:52 pm

Paul, Thanks. It's been quite awhile since I disassembled it--I couldn't remember where the washer went. The bearing is new as the old one had gotten cut open by the release lever. But you know, until you mentioned it I never really thought about the shaft being worn. I'm not sure it'll be a problem but perhaps I can turning it end for end and drilling new holes for the pins. The release lever is worn as well. While it does catch both sides of the bearing it does bother me some because the hole is so big. I've put a few more pics at http://home.triad.rr.com/jonesc if you want to take a look and let me know what you think. (I will not put them in the msg this time to keep the msg loading fast).

Got to go get some sleep.

Thanks,
Chris

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:23 am

Even though the clutch disc has been redrilled, it should work OK as long as there are not any cracks, but I would sand it a bit to flatten, or true it up, and to knock the glaze off. That is an original solid fiber disc. The new ones have a metal core with a fiber lining on both sides, and the holes don't wear/elongate as bad.

I would also try to find a better drive shaft and release lever, because both will cause you some problems. The lever will end up damaging the bearing, and the bearing cost more than the lever does. The worn shaft will cause the bearing to cock/twist on the shaft, and break the teaser spring, and that is probably what wore the hole in the lever out of shape, and damaged the original bearing. Both are available new if you can't find good used ones

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:25 am

Check out Brian Miller's page on Cadet clutches, lots of good info and diagrams:
http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/clutch.htm

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:27 am

WOW...I LOVE Brian's motorized Garden Tractor Sled 8) !!! Hey "Cubfesters" CHECK THIS OUT!!! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:43 pm

Paul the clutch disk isn't really what I was asking about. I was talking of the shaft being refreshed by turning it end for end putting the working on the other end. I also mentioned the hole in my release lever being worn.

But never mind that stuff now. I've gotten a piece of rod to make a new drive shaft from and I am going to get a new release lever and the yoke that the lever fits into.

But I see you did notice my fix for badly worn holes in the clutch disk. It does have a center metal layer. Should work just fine.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Don't want to sound like a party pooper but is that shaft hardened?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Cub Cadet”