This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

iI'm starting my first true restoration

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubby
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45069
Tractors Owned: 26,27,28 farmall regular
47cub= Cubby
48 cub=Rusty
49cub=BEEcub
75 cub=Lemon Juice
76-CUB=RED BIRD
53 AC-WD
NH TC-18
53 "H"
67 sears SS-12
3 CADET ORIGINALS
73 Wheel Horse-Automatic
Cadet 73
Cadet 70
Cadet 100(2)

iI'm starting my first true restoration

Postby cubby » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Well,I guess I'm ready to start on my cub cadet.My first question is--what is the first section i should start on? Is it the engine,taking it completely apart down to the last nut.Do I strip everything down on the entire tractor.What is the best way to keep things together,in boxes,doing things in sections and setting them on a shelf when finished so i can put everything back together at one time? i plan on taking lots of pictures and videos.I have downloaded all the manuals i could find.I plan on printing off and binding the manuals by sections as i get to them.I know i have a lot of questions,but i want to be able to find where everything goes and where i have put everything in the shop until i need it.Any ideas or thoughts would be of great help.Thanks Rick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: iI'm starting my first true restoration

Postby gitractorman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Rick,
Here's a link to my latest restoration, just finished over this winter. This was a complete tear-down and rebuild, however, I did have a new motor, so I did not do any restoration of the motor itself.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81937

As for sorting/storage, I tend to keep nuts/bolts in ziplock bags, either taped to the individual part, laying with the part, or I write on the bag with a Sharpie. In reality, these tractors are pretty simple, and there are very few bolts that interchange, so if you keep the groups of bolts together in a bag, per part (or assembly like fenders) then the bag typically reminds you where they go.

Also, I've learned to take LOTS of photos before disassembly. Close up photos of important items, just before disassembly, can be invaluable when you go to put it back together. On the project above, one of the most important pictures was the wiring to the starter/generator. A quick look back on my phone, and I had the generator wired back up correctly the first time, in about 2-minutes, after being apart for months.

Good luck,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: iI'm starting my first true restoration

Postby Stanton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 am

Couldn't agree enough with Bill. Pictures, pictures, pictures; especially if this is your first redo of a Cadet or anything like it.

Get yourself the parts manual for your model that has exploded views and part numbers. Use the Ziplock (or cheaper version) storage bags and be faithful to write down the quantity, part number and even the page number from the parts manual on the bag with a Sharpie. This will help in the long run. I've regretted having moved too fast through the tear-down stage, only to realize I can't find a part, a woodruff key, or some such piece I need later when trying to reassemble. Then you can get boxes and keep related baggies together: seat assembly, tower, engine, generator, etc.

If you can discipline yourself: picture(s), remove, bag/record, move on to the next part.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Cub Cadet”