Bought a 782

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Went with a friend up to PA yesterday to pick up a 782 I found via facebook. It's a CCC-built cadet, but it meets my primary criterion--it's red! It came with a 44" deck. It runs good and I think it will make a nice mowing rig and maybe it'll go to a show once in a while. I'm going to mow with it the rest of the summer and then decide how much I want to restore it this winter. It has been repainted once and looks really nice.

782 side 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bought a 782

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Thing looks Sweet Al! id liek to find a 782 with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel 8)

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I mowed with it a little today. We have a few bugs to work out but I think I'll get there. It ran about 30 minutes and then started losing power and missing. After I left it alone a while it fired back up, so I am thinking I have a bad coil. I assume these old Stage 2 Kohlers had points/condensers. Can they be changed to electronic ignition economically?

Al

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Congrats on the nice 782! They are great machines. I enjoy mine.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Nice find on the 782! They are nice tractors. Kinda like Cubs though. You just can't have one.

AC,
Are you the AC I'm thinking you are? Allen? If so, didn't know you were a member here! Cool!
Later,
Josh

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:29 am

Nice 782! Don't know about the economics of swapping out the points/condenser for electronic ignition. Mine is a 1983 CCC, black painted tranny, but still cast iron.

I see your deck has the front anti-scalp wheels which is nice. Mine have the curved runners and on certain places in my yard, they slice it up pretty good. Since the deck isn't in that great a shape, I'd like to switch it out the deck for a new one. We'll see.

Congrats on yours! How many hours on the meter?

PM sent.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 pm

red56turbo wrote:Nice find on the 782! They are nice tractors. Kinda like Cubs though. You just can't have one.

AC,
Are you the AC I'm thinking you are? Allen? If so, didn't know you were a member here! Cool!
Later,
Josh

It's me, Josh! Good to see you here!

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:30 am

Those KT-17 engines are REALLY bad about the cooling fins on the engine getting packed with oil and grass, cutting off the cooling to the cylinders and engine, then overheating. Be real careful with how hard you work it until you've gotten the shrouds off the engine and cleaned her out real good. They are prone to becoming KT-8.5s partially due to the cooling and partially to the lack of full pressure lubrication. Not a bad engine, just prone to some problems once they get old. If you keep good oil in it and keep the fins clean, it will last forever. Part of the problem is there isn't an oil pan, so you can't drop the pan like on an older K-series Kohler and clean out all the sludge. I would definitely get some Sea Foam into the oil and see if you can flush some of the sludge out of it. If you have to pull the engine for anything, it would be worth trying to flush the block with diesel fuel or something to try to get any sludge out of it. Unfortunately, since there's no oil pan, there's no way to get into it and look around. The oil pan is integral to the block, so the only way to open up the engine is to split it down the middle, which, at that point, you have to rebuild the engine.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 am

gitractorman wrote:Those KT-17 engines are REALLY bad about the cooling fins on the engine getting packed with oil and grass, cutting off the cooling to the cylinders and engine, then overheating. Be real careful with how hard you work it until you've gotten the shrouds off the engine and cleaned her out real good. They are prone to becoming KT-8.5s partially due to the cooling and partially to the lack of full pressure lubrication. Not a bad engine, just prone to some problems once they get old. If you keep good oil in it and keep the fins clean, it will last forever. Part of the problem is there isn't an oil pan, so you can't drop the pan like on an older K-series Kohler and clean out all the sludge. I would definitely get some Sea Foam into the oil and see if you can flush some of the sludge out of it. If you have to pull the engine for anything, it would be worth trying to flush the block with diesel fuel or something to try to get any sludge out of it. Unfortunately, since there's no oil pan, there's no way to get into it and look around. The oil pan is integral to the block, so the only way to open up the engine is to split it down the middle, which, at that point, you have to rebuild the engine.

I'll check into that. The previous owner said the engine had been replaced. I've not looked at the serial numbe to see exactly what model it is. Doesn't the later engine have an oil filter on it?

thanks,
Al

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Yes, the later engines have spin-on oil filters and are MUCH better because they don't rely on splash lubrication. However, all of the KT engines are really bad about the fins plugging with grass and oil, cutting off the cooling. I've seen the black shrouds completely packed with grass with no way for air to circulate. The last KT-18 I rebuilt for my 1811 was a mess. I cleaned the engine with NAPA brake cleaner and it took about 6 cans of it just to blow all the crap out of the engine. You couldn't blow it out with air because it was oil soaked grass, and just matted together.