Voltage Regulator

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:37 pm

I have a 64 model 100 and I picked up a regulator from a Cadet dealer but the markings of the terminals are different than orig. Most of the terminals were labeled well some were assume the new one had a terminal marked gnd. the old didn't . I guess my question is do you know the number of the proper regulateor. The one that I was sold is IH 545130-R93. I would like to know what I need when I walk in the door of the parts house.
1st post
Thanks Mark

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:07 am

from what I can find out a cub cadet 100 voltage regulator part number is IH121577-C1, it should have 4 terminals, ( L- green wire) ( Gen- gray wire) ( Bat- lite blue wire) ( F- yellow wire).
If you dont have lights on your 100 you should not have to worry about the ( L- green wire).
A voltage regulator from a 102 part # 545130-R92 should also work, 3 terminals ( F- yellow) ( Gen- lite blue) ( Bat-gray) BUT you will need to hook it up as follows ( F-yellow) ( Gen-gray) ( Bat- lite blue) to keep with the wires on your 100.
I dont rember the new voltage regulator I got for my 102 haveing a ground, I wonder if that one you got is for a completely different applacation.
I hope this helps


Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Lonnie B
Thanks for the quick help..I will try to get down there and see if they have the correct one

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:54 pm

Lonnie, Mark
The "L" terminal on the 100 regulator has nothing to do with 'lights', and you do need it. The "L" stands for load, and the wire connected to it supplies power to one side of the ignition switch, and then to the coil from the other side of the switch.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:05 am

The R93 number tells me that they made a change to the regulator or supplier and when they do that the add 1 to the old R9x number which I think is R92 for the original assy. That is the purpose of the R number on IH parts numbers. There are several after market regulators out there and you can get them to work properly by getting the CORRECT wires on the appropriate terminals although they might be marked different. I use Sten's VR that are listed for JD & B&S and are about half the price of the dealers list.

Lonny:I use the L terminal for lights as that only has 12 V. when the key is on and your lights don't work with out the key on and your lights won't get turned on at a show. L dose stand for load but the lights can be the load.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:11 am

Paul, & WDeturk.
On my 102 I use the 4 post regulator, and I have my lights wired to the L terminal.
Now on the regulator I am useing, and it is brand new, replaced the old one that quit. Put it on yesterday, the L & Bat terminals are showing 12.54 volts with engine off, with engine running it jumps up to 13.65 volts on the Bat terminal and only goes to 12.63 volta on the L terminal.
My lights are not contrloled by the key switch.

NOW I am not saying that this is the correct way to be wired but it sems to work out just fine.
I will however have to dig up the wire diargam for a 102 with lights to see just how it should be wired up.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:28 am

The point I was making is that the "L" terminal is for Load, and does not mean for lights. Yes it will work that way on your 102 because the lights are a load the same as power to the ignition switch is a load, but your 102 also has, or originally had, a starter solenoid (or magnetic switch as IH called it) that supplies power to the ingition switch, and an Original and 70/100's do not, so the power to the ign sw for those models comes from the "L" terminal of the VR.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:48 pm

After looking over the wire diagram for my 102 and one for a 100 I see the difference now. I did not rember that a 100 did not come with a key switch, but a push button starter and seprate switch.
Which makes all the difference.
Thanks for keeping this straight for us.