Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:33 am

If your engine's out of correct timing :shock: ...you'd probably be aware of the rough running and poor power under a load :cry: .

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:14 pm

I'm going to try another carb,before I install it, I'll break it down and check the internal's ,and throttle shaft to see if it's worn, I will try adjusting the carb one more time before I remove it,perhaps the rebuilder messed with it,I remember when I got it back it was sorta dark out,I was running it and I saw a slight glow in the exhaust while running ,mabee I made it too ritch causing unburnt fuel to ignite in the hot exhaust ,does that sound possible?.....Dawgonnittt...Give me my laptop,and a Detroit Series 60 any day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:21 pm

Yep Rich could do it.

Bill

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:34 pm

k. hansen'49cub wrote:I'm going to try another carb,before I install it, I'll break it down and check the internal's ,and throttle shaft to see if it's worn, I will try adjusting the carb one more time before I remove it,perhaps the rebuilder messed with it,I remember when I got it back it was sorta dark out,I was running it and I saw a slight glow in the exhaust while running ,mabee I made it too ritch causing unburnt fuel to ignite in the hot exhaust ,does that sound possible?.....Dawgonnittt...Give me my laptop,and a Detroit Series 60 any day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just guessing, but if it is running lean enough to make the exhaust glow it sounds like a probable cause for the "pop" in the exhaust, that is why I was asking about carbon buildup, it makes a hot spot and any unignited fuel coming in contact with it will burn.
For sure the problem is a hot spot somewhere....

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:44 pm

If the exhaust is glowing, it is probably too lean, rather than too rich..

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:23 pm

I remember when I got it back it was sorta dark out,I was running it and I saw a slight glow in the exhaust while running ,mabee I made it too ritch causing unburnt fuel to
I adjusted it richer after I saw the glow ,I did'nt get to mess with it today, I have this week off from work,I'll be spending it at home ,in the garage, the 125's on my punch list.I really hope this can be worked out , I love my 70 ,but this hydro with the "48 deck is right between my Cub,and the 70, Since my wife found the hydro ,I pretty much retired my 70 as the trim mower, but since this latest problem, I've been using the restored 70 instead,You guy's are alot of help.Thank You.

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:11 pm

For what it is worth, my 301 that I just rebuilt this past spring popped before I rebuilt it and it still pops. If I let her cool off it makes a smaller pop. I too can just about shut it off and start to climb off before she goes.

S.H.A.F.T.