cub cadet 1811 belt problem

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
collieman
Zip Code: 43912

cub cadet 1811 belt problem

Postby collieman » Sun May 24, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi everyone!, I have a problem. I am a city boy (70 years old) and am in the position of trying to get my sister's tractor to work so she can cut her two acres of grass. Her husband passed ( he used the tractor) so I'm trying to help her by getting the tractor to work. I've had NO experience at all with the tractor. There is no manual so I'm trying to figure things out on my own. Here's the problem: The belt keeps coming off the pulleys. There is a diagram on the front frame that shows how to adjust the tension on the belt. I think I did that right by adjusting the right pulley so the second, little notch is aligned with the front frame. I start the tractor. Lower the cutting deck. Then put it in gear and start cutting. I can't get very far before the belt comes off. I had my sister run the tractor while I walked beside it watching the belt. The belt travels around the cutting deck pulley nice and smooth BUT I noticed that the up front on the left side shakes and vibrates back and forth something fierce. I see it has a spring on it. Thinking that maybe the spring has lost its tension over the years I hooked a good size spring to the pulley bracket and to the front frame for more tension but it still comes off after going maybe 50 feet or so. The added spring did nothing to stop that pulley from jumping back and forth. The belt is in pretty good shape but I did find another new belt in the garage so I installed it. That was a chore as I had to remove the cutting deck to do that. No change with the new belt. Still the belt comes off. I don't see any way of getting more tension because when I adjust the right pulley with the rod and nut the left pulley moves with it but in the opposite direction keeping the same tension. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I might do to keep the belt from coming off? I had to cut her two acres with a Briggs 22" push mower. Hope I don't have to do that again. Thank you in advance for any help.

DieselDennis
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Re: cub cadet 1811 belt problem

Postby DieselDennis » Mon May 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Been a while since I was on an 1811, but it seems to get that belt tight, you should hook that slotted bar in the front of the frame. Doesn't matter which slot, just get it in there. Then, move to the threaded rod and start cranking the nuts til the belt gets tight.

The threaded rod is the actual tension adjustment mechanism. The slotted bar is just a "quick release" so you can do things like change the belt without removing the deck. Is the center spindle on the deck OK? If the spindles are good, then you should be able to work things out with the belt by making adjustments at the front of the machine.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby randallc » Tue May 26, 2015 5:39 am

Check the pulleys to see if you have a worn out bearing. The belt may also be to large for the mower and it will jump off. One of the pulleys may be out of alignment. Belt needs to ride in the V.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

collieman

Postby collieman » Tue May 26, 2015 8:42 am

The slotted bar has a BIG notch and a few smaller notches. I use my foot to push in the bar to latch the bar to the big notch so I can put the belt back on. The smaller notches won't stay latched to the front frame as they are too small. The pulleys, spring and belt are all in good shape. In order for me to get the notched bar to align with the front frame like the diagram on the front I have to have the threaded rod all the way in. No more threads showing. If I tighten the nut it pulls the notched bar pulley back into the mower and the notch will not align with the frame like on the front diagram. I was wondering about the belt size. The belt rides about even with the two front pulleys and the cutting deck pulley. I mean the belt is not down inside them like the crankshaft pulley where it rides way down in. I just don't understand why that left pulley jumps and and forth so violently. Pulleys and spring are in good shape.

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.

Postby randallc » Wed May 27, 2015 5:40 am

Sounds like you may have the wrong belt. This chart should help.
http://home.comcast.net/~dos0711/CCBELTCHART.htm
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed May 27, 2015 7:00 am

I'm thinking belt is too long as well. The chart Randallc supplied shows a 72" belt for a 44C mower deck. Might remove yours and measure it. Could have stretched over time. How old is it?

Might try going to TSC and get a Huskee (Kevlar) belt that is the proper length or a little shorter than the one you have on it now. Just a thought.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

collieman

Postby collieman » Thu May 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks for the chart with the belt sizes. There is a B90 stamped on the belt on the tractor right now. My sister says the deck is a 38". She has a bigger deck standing up in the garage that is in the 50" range. Should I try the bigger deck? That would be another problem on how to do that. This is all new to me.

Rodney51Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1950 Case VAI
1944 Farmall H
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H

Postby Rodney51Cub » Fri May 29, 2015 6:57 am

A B90 has a outside length of 93 inches. About an inch and a half longer than the factory belt. This does make a big difference. If you can't get a original length belt then get a 5/8 x 91 or a B88.

Rodney 8)