Brake Pucks, 102 CC.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Brake Pucks, 102 CC.

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:08 pm

How hard is it to replace the brake pucks on a 102/122 Cub Cadet?

Reason I'm asking is that I need to pull the transmission/differential. I can not punch out the roll pins holding the drive shaft to the the transmission with the transmission differential in the tractor. Mushroomed heads on roll pins.

Tractor needs a clutch repair, throw out bearing shot. Figured, might as well replace the brake pucks when I pull the rear end.

OK. Got 3 CC's in the shop for repair. Wife has been on my case to get the 125 up and running so she can mow. Friday wife priced a MFD used CC, unknown model, $1050. I didn't even get out of the pickup to look at it. $1050-, I should have all 3 CC's back in near new condition for less money.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: Brake Pucks, 102 CC.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 am

Eugene wrote:
OK. Got 3 CC's in the shop for repair. Wife has been on my case to get the 125 up and running so she can mow. Friday wife priced a MFD used CC, unknown model, $1050. I didn't even get out of the pickup to look at it. $1050-, I should have all 3 CC's back in near new condition for less money.

You better hurry, Eugene. She sounds serious! :shock:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
FH Woods 42F, 54A blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH Lo-Boy disk, FH platform carrier
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 am

Denny Clayton wrote:You better hurry, Eugene. She sounds serious! :shock:
No need to rush. The Cub Cadets are used to mow under black walnut trees, makes for easy picking up nuts.

Another off year for black walnut production. Not enough nuts to bother with picking up and hauling to the huller. Hoping to get enough nuts for personal use.

Besides that, if she really wanted to mow, I/we have a standard Cub with a mounted 42" Woods and a 154 with a mounted 60" IH mower deck. And a 5' brush hog towed behind one of the WD Allis Chalmers. Dismounted flail mower in storage. And a neighbor periodically pastures cattle on the acreage. The cattle have the grass eaten down so there is currently nothing to mow.

And the 17 year old push mower used to mow around the house in town died. I just spent $215- on a new push mower for her to mow around the house.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Replacing the brake pads (pucks) was not a bad job. Hardest part was driving out the roll pins. The roll pins were well rusted, having been in place for 50 years.

Was surprised, brake pads still had a lot of available wear, but replaced then any way.

The prices at the Cub Cadet dealer were less expensive than the internet dealers. Still have some parts on order, should be here in 2 or 3 days. Looks like about $300- for brake pads, and new clutch parts.

While ordering parts and waiting for in stock parts to be delivered, wife asked the Cub Cadet dealer if they had any used hydrostatic garden tractors in stock. Thinking wife wants to take ownership of a lawn mower/garden tractor. Kinda like HER car. She picked it out, wrote the check. Our money but HER car.

My next project the 125 CC. Give it to her as an anniversary gift, HER tractor.

Edited. Wrong word.
Last edited by Eugene on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.

Postby randallc » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:09 am

Brake pucks or pads on a CC is a challenge I have not met. As well as many other things. But I do like the 125. I adjusted the brakes and installed a 3 point hitch on it. But it runs and mows very well.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 am

Eugene wrote:While ordering parts and waiting for in stock parts to be delivered, wife asked the Cub Cadet dealer if they had any used hydrostatic garden tractors in stock. Thinking wife wants to take ownership of a lawn mower/garden tractor. Kinda like HER car. She picked it out, wrote the check. Our money but HER car.

Like I said, you better hurry! She set the precedent with the car. If she takes a test drive on that newer hydrostat it's all over....................... :roll: :sold: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
FH Woods 42F, 54A blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH Lo-Boy disk, FH platform carrier
Circle of Safety

Return to “Cub Cadet”