42" Mower belt problem

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim in SC
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 29527
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1999 John Deere LT155
2018 Husqvarna lawn tractor
Circle of Safety: Y

42" Mower belt problem

Postby Jim in SC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:53 am

Hi, second post on this part of the forum. I just posted a separate question about steering that I need help with too.

But I need help with a mower problem also. I have a newly purchased '69 Cub Cadet 106 with a 42" mower attached. The mower is iffy. I "patched" some large rust spots on the deck with sheet metal, improvised an left end piece and runner and wheel bracket on the right side, and bought/installed new deck wheels. I pulled the wooden roller on the front of the deck and freed it up and lubed it. Took the mower out for a test spin and it mows fine, but it keeps throwing the large drive belt. I tried tightening it with the adjusting screw on the front of the tractor, which helped some, but it still throws the belt, just not as often. I'm pretty sure the spindles are spinning free. The serial/model number on the mower is 421U1116, if that helps any.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jim
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Sir Winston Churchill / George Orwell.
1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1998 John Deere LT 155
2018 Husqvarna

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: 42" Mower belt problem

Postby gitractorman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:11 am

There's several things to look at, all of which have to do with the mule drive assembly. First, lower/remove the mower deck and pull the mule drive assembly off (the hanger mechanism that slides out the front of the tractor) and put it up on a work bench. Inspect the two idler pulleys where the belt comes down from the PTO, makes the 90-degree turn and heads back to the mower. These pulleys wear out quite often, so I'd bet the bearings are bad in them letting them flop around. If they feel ok, then check the alignment of them and the axle bolts that hold them to the mounting brackets. They should be fairly straight up/down, front/back. I see these get twisted in their mounting, so their at a weird angle to the tractor, and/or the axle bolts are so worn that the pulley just flops around. You may have to straighten out the mounting brackets and/or buy new ones, and install new bolts. Also check the rod at the top of the hanger that the adjustment pulleys mounting brackets hang from. Often that rod is worn so bad that even a new mounting bracket will flop around on it.

Next, before you re-assemble things, look at an owners manual to see how it goes. I've seen the pulleys mounted a dozen different ways, and there's only 1 right way. They should be mounted such that the belt comes straight down off of the sides of the PTO clutch, no angles, not out to the sides of the tractor or pushed towards the middle, straight down. Trust me, look at an owners manual to see how the parts go back together and don't rely on "how it was"!

All of these things are pretty much the first thing I look at before re-mounting a mower deck on a Cub Cadet. If any of the above items are not right, it will just keep throwing the belt. I will often just disassemble all of the mule drive assembly and put it back together with new pulleys, bolts, washers, etc.

If all of these things are perfect (and I'm 99% sure you'll find their not), the belt could just be the wrong one. However, if you had it running at all, the belt is likely fine.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Jim in SC
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1999 John Deere LT155

Postby Jim in SC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:58 pm

GLTractorman, thanks! Whew. Got my work cut out for me it sounds like! I'll start out where you suggest and hope for the best. Otherwise I'll wait to tear it completely down after grass mowing season. I hate it, but I guess i'll have to depend on my JD mower to bear the brunt of grass cutting for this year...

I really appreciate your quick and knowledgeable reply!

Jim
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Sir Winston Churchill / George Orwell.
1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1998 John Deere LT 155
2018 Husqvarna

Jim in SC
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1999 John Deere LT155

Postby Jim in SC » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Update on the belt problem. I took the mule off today (once the rain quit and the sun came out - 1st time in like 2 weeks and after 13+ inches of rain...) and found that the pulleys are okay, but the pulley hanger on one side is bent and the shaft holding it is worn almost half way through. Not good. I suppose I could take it to a machine shop and get it repaired, but am instead on the lookout for a narrow frame front hanger assembly. I have my eye on one from a 124 and THINK it is the same as the one for the 106...

Any thoughts on that?

Jim
1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1998 John Deere LT 155
2018 Husqvarna

Jim in SC
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1999 John Deere LT155

Postby Jim in SC » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Bought the hanger off eBay tonight. Will install it next week and we'll see how this old mower mows...
1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1998 John Deere LT 155
2018 Husqvarna