This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

just bought an original

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

just bought an original

Postby ad356 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 pm

i just bought a 1961-1963 cub cadet original. tractor is in good original, un-restored condition. the tractor is in decent mechanical condition, no smoke or knocks. it came with a very solid square deck, i think its a 38" deck, its the timed deck. it has the optional round fenders. it has the proper oil bath air cleaner. it needs cosmetics only, and i paid $500 for it. i have a 5 year old son and i want him to have it when he gets older. i figured there probably arent too many of these left, this one is in good shape, and the price was right. the engine starts instantly and seems to have decent power. this is a machine that runs and mows.

so how did i do for $500? where do i source parts for one of these machines? has anyone reproduced cub cadet parts? i have a 1948 farmall cub and i know those parts at least allot of them have been remade. im not sure if the cub cadets also have had parts remade. what other implements fit these tractors or were they really only a "lawnmower". i know the fenders alone are worth $200.

this tractor is going to see occasional use mowing, with my farmall doing most of the mowing still. i will use it some but not heavily, the 38" deck is kind of small compared to my 60"

i have a creaper gear that fit a 124, would that fit on this tractor?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: just bought an original

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Parts. Engine and other parts are available from your auto parts store. For parts not available at your auto parts store, Case/IH or Cub Cadet dealers handle the parts.

You can also find parts on line. Cub Cadet and Kohler engine parts are readily available.

I'm not sure if you can add the creeper to your original Cub Cadet. My guess is, probably not with out major modification and work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:55 pm

i have a good friend that owns a small engine shop and i have sourced some parts through him in the past. there is a case/ih dealer two doors up, they also deal in cub cadet. the problem with them is they are pain in the butt and they are expensive. i was wondering if there is any online sources besides ebay. there are multiple sources of parts for the cub and other larger IH tractors but it seems somewhat limited for the garden tractors. this is the second IH cub cadet i have owned.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 pm

When I need IH or Cub Cadet specific parts, I go on line and print out a parts print out of the specific area of the tractor or garden tractor. I take the print out to the Case/Ih/CC dealer with the part #s marked to indicate what I want. The print out makes it easy for the counter person to obtain the correct parts.

Price. Generally parts obtained from the Case/IH dealer are quality.

I'm currently working on a Tecumseh H35 engine, needing perhaps a new carburetor. Internet search for the carburetor shows $13- for a Chinese carburetor to $39- for a US made carburetor. Reviews on the Chinese carburetor - not good. So, if needed I will spend the money for the US made carburetor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:08 am

Tecumseh, those have to be getting difficult to get parts for. they are not even close to the popularity of the kohler k series, they used some weird electronic ignition that was prone to failure. think their old cast iron engines were ok but not as good as the kohlers were. what is the engine mounted on. i worked on quite a few sears suburbans that had them. the sears suburban was a stout little tractor, almost as heavy as the IH cub cadets. back then you had IH cub cadet, wheelhorse, sears suburban, simplicity, bolens, john deere 110/112, 200 and 300 series, economy, case/ingersol, and other brands that im sure i have forgotten about. today there isnt much worth mentioning, i dont know if ingersol is around but except for some expensive higher end model john deere the garden tractor is gone, done, and history. we have to preserve what is left because MTD has made sure they wont make them anymore, and it also just costs too much to produce them like they once did. MTD successfully bought up allot of brands and ruined them

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:31 am

PM sent.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:52 am

You'll find that you can get nearly any part for the tractor at a Cub Cadet dealer, but all of the bearings, seals, and engine parts you can get from NAPA. The creeper from your 124 will not work in the original. The creeper drive for the Original Cub Cadets has a cast iron housing built around it to take up for the frame section that you must take out to install the creeper drive. I'd sell the one for your 124 and keep an eye out for one for an original, but they're getting pretty tough to find. Often times you'll find a complete, junk original with a creeper drive installed, cheaper to buy than just buying the creeper drive by itself. $500 isn't bad for a good running machine that just needs cosmetics.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 am

ad356 wrote:Tecumseh, those have to be getting difficult to get parts for.
Actually Tecumseh parts are readily available from your local auto parts store.

The Tecumseh H35 engine powers a 1KW generator set. This gen set is portable, but will not handle most construction tools, low amperage output. Acreage shop is not connected to commercial electricity. Powered by a 10 KW gen set when I want to use equipment requiring a heavy amperage draw. I use the 1KW set in the shop to power lights and a battery charger or two.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:49 am

this project will last you for awhile. Red
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19021
Tractors Owned: 1968 lowboy 1978 f cub and lots of cub cadets

Postby drice » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:02 pm

if u want a creeper for a original id call ray weaver in Denver pa last time I talked to him he told me he had 6 sitting on the shelf at his shop.that was last year but I bet he still has a couple left.

Return to “Cub Cadet”