Rebuilding 42" mower deck from a 72... Tips?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pickerincal
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 93455
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1967 Cub Cadet
1972 Loadstar 1600
Circle of Safety: Y

Rebuilding 42" mower deck from a 72... Tips?

Postby Pickerincal » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Anyone have any tips for getting this spindle apart?
spindle.jpg

All 3 spindles look like this and the pulleys are rotten but the deck is in pretty good shape. I'm just lost on rebuilding these without destroying them.
Also, is there a good outlet for a rebuild kit for these that won't break the bank?

Thanks guys :D
Brian

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Rebuilding 42" mower deck from a 72... Tips?

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Anyone have any tips for getting this spindle apart?
Soak the zerk and nut below lying nut with solvent. Remove the nut holding the blade to spindle. Use a chain strap or belt strap to hold the pulley. Remove the zerk. Remove the nut that was below the zerk. Rap on the pulley and it should slide off. Rap the blade end of the spindle on or with a piece of hard wood. Spindle should slide out.

Is there a good outlet for a rebuild kit for these that won't break the bank?
Not a rebuild kit, but individual parts are available. Some parts are expensive with a capital E.

You won't know the condition of the spindles or if any parts are needed until all are disassembled.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Eugene, are either or both of those nuts left hand thread?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Pickerincal
5+ Years
5+ Years
1967 Cub Cadet
1972 Loadstar 1600

Postby Pickerincal » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you Eugene. Thats a good question Bob.. You can probably tell I had a pipe wrench on that blade end nut to get it off. It took a lot of heat and leverage, I thought I was going to have to cut it off. I don't think anything on this is going to slide apart, It took two days to strip the deck. I'm thinking maybe the electrolysis tank and then maybe solvent? Not sure.. I just don't want to damage the spindle housing. Bearings and seals can be found at any good bearing shop but the housing, base and spindle will cost if i have to replace them.

Brian

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:43 am

Eugene, are either or both of those nuts left hand thread?
I have 4 different IH mower decks. None of the spindles I've had apart had left handed threads.

Edit: I buy narrow framed Cub Cadets at auction for parts. Frequently, one or two good used part(s) will pay for the entire parts tractor and mower deck.

Frequently the center spindle on a 3 spindle deck is shot, but the two outer spindles are still good. Also, frequently find that a previous owner has had the spindle apart and upon reassembly left out parts. Or lost the spacer and used a poorly cut off piece pipe to use as the spacer.

If you haven't done so, I would throw the spindles in the parts washer solvent tank an let soak for a week or two.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pickerincal
5+ Years
5+ Years
1967 Cub Cadet
1972 Loadstar 1600

Postby Pickerincal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks Eugene thats good to know. Yes it looks like the center spindle is shot, whats the average price for one in decent shape? Do you know the reason its usually shot? As far as buying spare cubs for parts... there seems to be a cub cadet force field at the Mississippi or not too far west of there.. Lol. We don't get too many cadets at all in Ca. There are plenty of Cubs though.
I will definitely be soaking the spindles like you said. Thanks for the info :)

Brian

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Soak everything in solvent.

Impact wrench on the zerk and then the below lying nut. No impact wrench, fasten or restrain the pulley. Put a box end wrench on the zerk. Wack the end of the box end wrench with hammer. Same with the below lying nut.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pickerincal
5+ Years
5+ Years
1967 Cub Cadet
1972 Loadstar 1600

Postby Pickerincal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 pm

The zerk came off very easy, the big nut is not going to come off nearly as easy. It's soaking now. I think tomorrow I am going tool shopping for an impact and chain vice. I had been using sockets with a breaker bar and a mallet but i think this is going to need some big guns. Thank again Eugene.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:12 pm

One of the pressure washer parts sights offers the spindle tapered bearings from China. I put them in my 3260 deck and there ok.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.