This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

? for Paul B.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

? for Paul B.

Postby ljw » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:55 am

Paul, I have a MTD CUb 1604 which I believe is very similar to the IH 582. I read the threads between you and Ralph about the 582 he is parting out. (belatedly) The question is, Can I replace the 1604 drive with the 582 drive? I emailed Ralph and he said that he will be ebaying the 582 parts tonight. I just wondered if it's even worth doing. I realize the 582 is not hydrastatic, but that's OK. I recently purchased a 149 and I'm very much afraid I am beginning another very expensive project, i.e. Cub Cadets. Thank you in advance. Larry

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:46 pm

ljw
I'm sorry, but I can't totally answer your question because I am not familar with the MTD built Cub Cadets, or the the 1604.

I can tell you that the 582 Raplh had was an IH built tractor, and had the same transaxle as any other IH built gear drive Cub Cadet. If it would fit in your 1604, then any of them from any model IH built would fit.

If the 1604 is a belt driven hydrostatic drive, putting a gear drive transaxle in it is not going to be easy because of the lack of a clutch and release system, and all the IH transaxles (except for a 482, 582 Special, and 1100) both gear drive and hydro, are shaft driven directly from the engine, with the gear drives having a dryplate clutch between two pressure plates on the engine end of the drive shaft. The Original Cub Cadet is an exception and has a belt from the engine down to a clutch, and then a shaft back to the transaxle. The 482, 582 Special, and 1100 use a shaft from the engine to a right angle gear box, and then a belt with belt tightening clutch to a Peerless type transaxle.

The IH Cub Cadet used the same basic transaxle as the Farmall Cub. Biggest difference is the axles and housings, and the Cub Cadet has a gear reduction on the input side of the transmission rather than in the axles, and the ring gear in the differential is on the opposite side, or flipped 180 degrees.

All in all, it is probably not worth the trouble, but that's just my opinion.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:20 pm

Thanks Paul. I really didn't have a clue as whether or not it would fit. Really my 1604 runs very well so I don't need to upgrade. I had this brief moment of clarity when I read that 582 thread, oh well. Paul, I think that you have saved me a lot of money, and I thank you. Larry

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:31 pm

Larry:

I have to look in my emails but I have the url where you can get the CC manuals from the MTD ftp site. If you are interested let me know..

I got the info after a bunch of searing questions I posed to MTD Canada about a Co-op Turf-Trac....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:20 pm

Rudi, thanks for offering, but I bought a MTD manual on the internet a while back that should do me. The only trouble that I've had with the 1604 lawn mower was a loud whining noise coming from the gearbox located between the engine and the transaxle. On this model the drive shaft goes into this right angle gearbox which drives the wheels. When I took the gearbox apart, someone had replaced the oil with grease, which was too thick and wouldn't stay in the gear nip. I replaced it with 90 wt oil and it's been OK ever since. You know I think I might start collecting Cub Cadets. I bought the 1604 at an auction last year, not knowing anything about MTD models, Kohler vs. B&S, etc. But I starting learning about it. Just last week I bought a 149 with deck and snow blade at an auction. And just this AM my brother told me about this junky tractor that a guy wanted to get rid of cheap. He didn't know what it was, but he saw the IH logo and he knew that I would want it. Well I went to look at it, and yada, yada, I bought it. It was an old yellow and white with a 7 HP engine. One of rear tires was an ag and the other was lawn tread. But I couldn't see any numbers on it. But it was heavy. It took three of us old men to load it in my truck. Anyway I brought it home and started looking on the Cub Cadet website. I found a chart that was written by our own Paul B. I found out that it was an original made between 60 and 63 and I guess they don't have any model numbers. The engine reeks of varnish so I'll clean the carb in a couple of days and lube the cylinders a little bit and try to start it. It does have compression. I now have at least a half dozen riding mowers that run. And another half dozen that don't. I won't even mention push mowers. I don't mind too much, but I'm getting tired of hearing these horse laughs as I pull in the driveway. The little lady says that I need help, and she doesn't mean help with the unloading of the stuff. What really ticked her off was that last year I was getting ready to mow the lawn and for one reason or another I didn't have a machine to cut the grass. Now that was embarrassing. Well, Rudi thanks for the offer, but I'm OK? Larry

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:17 am

Larry
It's called 'Yellow Fever'. You can't have just one. :lol:

Look on the the right side of the gear reduction housing, the casting the front frame section bolts to, just in front of and slightly above the square headed pipe plug (transaxle oil fill plug), and you will find the serial number stamped into the casting (not raised numbers) in numbers about 3/16" high, in a vertical line. The numbers may be hard to see because the were hand stamped and are sometime not too deep. You will probably have to clean off the dirt/rust/paint to see them. Then check that serial number chart you saw, and you can find out what month/year it was built.

Rudi
Did you ever add the serial number chart to your server?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:43 am

Paul:

Quick answer is yes.

Complete answer is the new files have not been uploaded yet... sooon!

So much to do and so little time to do it :!: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cubbincal
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cubbincal » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:58 am

Hey Larry

What general area of Middletown do you live in? I am in Trenton. If you need help with that serial number I could show you where it is located.

cwoodrey@hotmail.com

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:40 pm

Paul, I found the serial no. 22682. According to the chart it was built in 12/61. Thanks for the help. I didn't know if the serial no. was the casting no. or the stamped no. The stamped no. has a space between the first and second number. I just added them together. The original has an electric start, but no headlights and no hydraulics. It has a square mower deck with a timing belt between the two pulleys. One of the spindles is separated from the shaft. I tried to start it, but it wouldn't fire. It does have compression. I'll work on it tommorrow, time permitting.

cubbincal, I live in Madison Twp. just off Rt. 4. I found the serial no., but thanks for the offer. I bet you're not more than a 15 min. drive from me. If you go to auctions in the area, we've probably met.

RUDI, I changed my mind about that MTD info. If you hav ethe info about the MTD website, I would appreciate it if you could forward it to me. Thanks to all! Larry

Return to “Cub Cadet”