1650 with #2 tiller need help

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

1650 with #2 tiller need help

Postby jim turner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm

I just bought a 1650 with #2 tiller and the bolts in the center by the tines are loose and wonder if there was grease in the center housing if so did the grease leak out and how do I get it apart I took the three nuts off but can't seem to get it apart.
Jim Turner

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: 1650 with #2 tiller need help

Postby gitractorman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes, the rear differential is full of HyTran - a specific hydraulic transmission fluid sold by Cub Cadet and Case/IH dealers. I'ts recommended to stick with it, espeically since you only change it once every few years.

When looking at the rear of the tractor there are the 3 bolts in the bottom of the differential cover that hold the tiller mount (white part with the angle gear box in my photo below) to the rear of the differntial (yellow plate behind the white tiller mount).

Take all of those bolts off and the tiller mount and rear differential cover will come off like this:

Be careful, there's about a gallon or so of Hytran in the rear differential, which will come pouring out when you pry the rear cover off. When you go pickup the Hytran, pickup a rear differential gasket from the dealer. You'll likely tear up the one on the tractor when removing the cover.

Let all the fluid drain out overnight. I'll often jack up the front of the tractor and leave it overnight or over a weekend (if it's really cold out) to let it drain out completely. If there's any gunky, white, milky, sludge in the differential, go ahead and use acetone or brake cleaner on a rag to wipe that out and get any of the sludge out that you can. Now go ahead and lower the tractor.

Laying under the tractor, look up at the front of the differential. there's a spin on oil filter there. Pick up one of these also while at the dealer. That is your transmission fluid filter, and you should change it while the transmission is empty. Just like a spin on oil filter, unthread, and spin on a new one and tighten.

Now, make sure the rear differential is completely dry where the gasket for the cover goes. I'll often clean this with acetone, along with the inside of the diff cover, to make sure the gasket doesn't leak. If there's any corrosion (there's usually not) but sometimes there will be parts of the gasket stuck to the cover or diff, that looks like rust. Use a putty knife or angle grinder with wire wheel on it to get these surfaces smooth and clean. Clean again with acetone or brake cleaner then re-install the gasket and cover, making sure to tighetn the bolts evenly like when mounting a tire on a car. Snug all up, then give all a 1/2 turn, then give all another 1/2 turn, etc., working in a cris cross pattern.

Now, looking at the rear cover again, there's a pipe plug in the middle of the cover. You can see it just above the tiller mount in the photo above. This plug will accept a 3/8" ratchet extension. After the cover is bolted tight, remove this plug, then fill the differential with Hytran until it runs out this plug hole. Thread the plug back in, and run the tractor a bit, making sure to raise/lower the lift several times to cycle the lift cylinder. Shut it down and check the fluid level again, and top off the differential with HyTran until it runs out the hole agian.

You should now be all set for a few years.

Give us a shout with any questions.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jim turner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 pm

gitractorman thanks for your response and I did need that advise, but my problem is with the tiller the center housing where the tines are had loose bolts three of them were loose and wonder if it is packed with grease or not I don't know how to get it apart
Jim Turner

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Wow, I really missed the boat there.

Yes,everything in the gear box is greased. It's a real job to get the case apart. Biggest problem is getting the times off. I had to split one once and ended up just getting the case apart a little bit so I could replace the gasket. It's not for the faint of heart. definitely get a parts diagram before attempting. The case holds the gears in place so when you separate it, if done wrong, everything just falls out.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jim turner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks, I am attempting it and yes I can't get the tines off they are soaking with PB blaster
Jim Turner

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jim turner » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:04 am

Well, I finally got it apart, my suspicion was right no grease or very little in the chain case now I am having trouble finding parts it seems Cubcadet has some but very limited I need the felt seals that go in the dust cap on each side of lower shaft. They are felt, thinking about making them myself.
Jim Turner