Comment/experiences with Cub Cadet XT -2 series

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bezirk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Comment/experiences with Cub Cadet XT -2 series

Postby Bezirk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm

I am considering purchasing a new XT -2 series lawntractor and I am interested in your experiences with this series. Yes I have done the research and know that in passt years these Cadets have had miserable repair records, however it looks like thiese new XT series of tractors are performing well . Thanks in advance for your comments .

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Comment/experiences with Cub Cadet XT -2 series

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 pm

I'll check my son's Cub Cadet ZT mower's model number, purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. So far, mower mows great and fast.

Problems: Not charging up the battery and on it's 3rd mower deck belt(s)

Just my opinion since I'm retired and have time to mow, and own 2 ea. IH mower tractors and 3ea.mowing ready Cub Cadet garden tractors, I wouldn't have purchased the ZT Cub Cadet. On the other hand, son works 12 hour shifts and is frequently called into work since he is the only electrician in the plant and has to be the supervisor when the supervisor is not there.

The trade off. Takes son about 20 - 30 minutes to mow his almost 1/4 acre lawn. It would take me perhaps 1 1/2 or so hours to mow with one of the Cub Cadet garden tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bezirk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks Eugene , This would be for my wife to use I use a ZTR but she is using a MTD . I also have a Cub Cadet geared unit 104 that I keeep as a backup unit it works great but is not nearly as fast as a hydo or ZTR .

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:45 pm

If the Zero Turn is for the wife's use, spend the money and buy a commercial grade mower.

My thought, if the wife gets accustomed to the mower, she will take over most, if not all of the mowing. Leaving more time for me to complement the wife on the great mowing job, while sitting on the porch drinking an adult beverage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub

Postby T-Mo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:17 am

I haven't been too impressed with Cub Cadet's offerings the last 10 years or so. It seems like as years go buy and each new model comes out, there is more and more MTD influence in the designs. Myself, I would look to a X series John Deere, or a Simplicity, if I was looking for a lawn tractor. If a residential zero turn, the higher end John Deeres, or a Hustler Raptor, or go commercial grade zero turn.

RanchsA
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 48873
Tractors Owned: 1946 Farmall A
1967 Cub Cadet 123
1968 Cub Cadet 125
1973 Cub Cadet 108
2014 Cub Cadet GT2042

Postby RanchsA » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:39 am

I have a 2014 GT2042 (same as xt3 line I don't believe much changed between them), has been good so far (225 hours on the counter). Only issue I have had is the mower deck getting banged up but that is more the fault of my kids leaving surprises in the yard and my terrible eyes. It gets used for mowing, blowing snow and yard trailering. I did use it when the A was down to disc the garden and was surprised how easily it tugged my 8' disc (only the front half) at full angle to work the garden a couple springs ago.
I have noticed this one seems to have a little more frame flex than the 2004 LT2042 I had before (was stolen from my garage of my old house while we were moving so insurance bought me this one). I have some pretty sharp/steep angles at this house though in my ditches and that is where I notice it. I had no issues with the LT2042, had a bit over 500 hours when stolen. Both were/have been good units. These are both drive shaft line models though.
My brother in law has an xt2 (46" fuel injected model if I recall correctly). He uses it to mow and trailer in his yard. He has a very flat probably 1/2 acre yard. His yard has a lot of obstacles to mow around too. I have not heard a complaint from him on the model. Seems real happy with it.
Hope this helps.
randy