This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1962 Cub Cadet Original Mower Deck Will Not Disengage

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46526

1962 Cub Cadet Original Mower Deck Will Not Disengage

Postby sgraber » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Recently picked up a '62 Cub Cadet Original to go with my '62 Farmall Cub:

https://goo.gl/photos/s4BW7NmSWP18i5Uv8

The Cadet came with a mower deck:

https://goo.gl/photos/jF859pHBkswtjfzi7

The deck engages and disengages with the foot pedal on the right side of the deck. It engages just fine; however, it will *not* disengage. The engage/disengage mechanism slides just fine but the mower blades continue to spin even when disengaged. See this video:

https://goo.gl/photos/v6nMfBzKcLgU2dnT9

Any idea what might be wrong? I don't like starting the thing up and having the blades spinning when the deck is supposed to be disengaged. :(

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1962 Cub Cadet Original Mower Deck Will Not Disengage

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 am

Clean up the trash and grease from around and under the sliding piece under the center pulley.

Straighten the slight bend in the rod from the disconnect lever to the sliding piece under the center pulley.

Yoke on rod to sliding piece under center pulley. Adjust the yoke out one turn or more.
I have an excuse. CRS.

sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby sgraber » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks! I pulled the entire assembly apart and cleaned it up really well. During disassembly I found that the bearing underneath the drive pulley was shot. I need to run over to a Cub Cadet dealer and pick one up. :-)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:25 am

sgraber wrote:I need to run over to a Cub Cadet dealer and pick one up.
Take the bearing and race(s) to your local auto parts store. They can match up them up from it's their numbers or measure them. It will be considerably less expensive from the auto parts store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby sgraber » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Thought I'd report back in. I installed new bearings and replaced the drive belt between the drive pulley and the mower spindle. I also picked up two spindle shields and have them installed. The deck is now performing as it should. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Cub Cadet”