1772 Diesel Starting Problem

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

1772 Diesel Starting Problem

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:32 am

I wanted to share my starter issue with you guys to see what you think. The video should explain it all. Hopefully there are some folks here (gitractorman for sure) that will be familiar with something like this. Maybe it's common to the diesels

https://youtu.be/qbxaL00OFec
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: 1772 Diesel Starting Problem

Postby gitractorman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Ok, couple of things to check. I'm not sure that trying to start it using jumper cables is a good idea, as you really don't get a good, solid connection with the clamps on jumper cables. But, since you said it has always done this, I'm going to say that the jumper cables are not the problem.

The clicking sounds like the starter solenoid trying to work, but I'm not sure. It's uncommon for them to allow any juice to flow, and they typically don't work at all when the solenoid fails. Some of these Japanese starters have the solenoid right on the starter itself rather than a separate starter solenoid like other tractors may have.

I would definitely pull the starter and have it rebuilt. A local armature or auto-electric shop should be able to rebuild it for you for $50 to $100, and it would be well worth the money. They can also tell you if the solenoid is bad (if it's on the starter), or if it is separate just take it in to them.

Those are my guesses based on what I saw. There is always the chance that the cylinders are rusted a little from it sitting outside, causing too much drag in the engine. It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case. However, again, since you said it was doing this before, I'm still leaning towards the solenoid and starter.

Another thing to check. These engines needed every ounce of juice that they could get from the battery. I would make certain that all of your battery wires, ground cables, etc., are new. Just replace them! I've seen MANY Cub Cadets of this era that the wiring was corroded so bad, inside of the insulation, that the copper wire just wouldn't transmit power. I've also seen them shorted out where they rub against the frame. With this engine needing every ounce of juice it can get to start, a little short, bare wire, or corrosion in the wiring can really kill the starting system! Just replace the wires!

Lastly, I'd make certain that your battery is good, and the biggest cranking amps that you can get in the size that will fit in the tractor! Batteries have come a long way since 1989 when that tractor was built!

As for your hydraulic valves, spray a little Kroil on the tops of the pistons and keep working the levers every now and then. They'll free up in a week or so. They just have a little rust from sitting.

Those are my recommendations, take them or leave them.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:49 am

:Dito: Agree on the strong battery, good clean connections, etc. Sometimes when in doubt I boost the good battery with another one to be sure it's getting what it needs to start. A slow turning diesel engine will always have problems no matter if it's a lawn mower or a dozier. Just my 2 cents worth.

1948FCub
Zip Code: k7c0c5

Postby 1948FCub » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 pm

On my 1572 Diesel I changed to Winter weight oil, installed a solenoid to directly connect the glo-plugs (really helped) and installed a new starter. Also I use a block heater for cold weather. All of these factor into easy starting after you get your starter rebuilt/replaced.
Godspeed,
107, 109 (2), 125, 129, 147 (pieces), 149, 1650, 1650 w/ Johnson FEL, and 1572 Diesel, 1948 Farmall Cub Image
Proud Member of Ontario IHC Chapter 20