This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 108 Won't Start

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
darbaugh
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21158

Cub Cadet 108 Won't Start

Postby darbaugh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here and pretty new to working on cub cadets (or any mower really). I've used them my entire life and love them. I've got a 108 that I can't get started. I used it for most of the summer, and then it sat for a month or month and a half and now it won't start. I'm thinking it's an electrical issue. It cranks fine, the battery is good, and I'm pretty sure it's getting gas because after trying to start it a few times, you can smell the gas and the spark plug is wet. I pulled the spark plug out and left it connected to the wire to see if it would spark, and nothing happened. I'm not sure how to go about testing to see if it's getting the correct voltage or any electric at all. Could someone give me some guidance on where I should start or how to go about testing it?

On a side note, this cub is in terrific condition. It's been garage/shed kept it's entire life. I'm pretty sure it was hardly out in bad weather other than probably plowing some snow at some point. It has been a tank and one heck of a dependable tractor, and until last week, I never had any trouble starting it, not even after sitting over winter.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Cadet 108 Won't Start

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm

When you test for spark using a spark you still need to ground the electrode...hold it against the head while cranking.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Points might need adjusting or clean.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Most likely points as other suggested. Points are available at your local auto parts store.

Test for compression. Remove spark plug and finger in plug hole. Crank over engine. Compression will force finger off hole. No compression, valves.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 pm

The 108 does have a "safety interlock" system and those are known to fail with age. The culprit is the clutch safety switch mounted under the middle of the tractor near the clutch pedal arm. There is a little spring steel tab on the clutch arm that depresses the neutral switch. I've seen both the spring steel arm rot away and no longer depress the button, and I've seen the buttons fail. Cool thing is that you can just un plug the electrical connection on the button switch, cut a small piece of wire with each end stripped, and insert the ends in the wiring harness end of the plug. This jumps the switch to bypass it, and will let you rule that out as a potential problem, and may actually solve your problem all together.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:39 am

gitractorman wrote:The 108 does have a "safety interlock" system and those are known to fail with age. The culprit is the clutch safety switch mounted under the middle of the tractor near the clutch pedal arm. There is a little spring steel tab on the clutch arm that depresses the neutral switch. I've seen both the spring steel arm rot away and no longer depress the button, and I've seen the buttons fail. Cool thing is that you can just un plug the electrical connection on the button switch, cut a small piece of wire with each end stripped, and insert the ends in the wiring harness end of the plug. This jumps the switch to bypass it, and will let you rule that out as a potential problem, and may actually solve your problem all together.

I had a 104 that had that problem with the neutral safety switch.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=cub+cad ... fgLPrVpjpM:

Second picture in above link, wiring diagram.

Use a multi-meter to locate problem. A potential source of the no start is a faulty ignition switch.
I have an excuse. CRS.

darbaugh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby darbaugh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did have it at a dealer in the spring and they replaced the condenser and the points, so I will start with them in case they were faulty parts. As far as testing the different connections with the multimeter, how would I go about doing that? Like what wires should read what voltage?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 am

darbaugh wrote:What wires should read what voltage?
Since engine cranks over, you will need to check the ignition circuit for voltage.

See the wiring diagram I cited, above. There are only a couple of places to check for voltage. You are looking for battery voltage, 12 volts. I would start at the coil because it's easy to get to. No voltage at the coil, next location to check is the ignition switch. Voltage at coil, check at the points.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 am

Try cleaning were the spark plug wire goes into the coil. It can get rusty in there sometimes.
I purchased a snap on tool for that it’s a round wire brush on a screwdriver handle. I gun barrel cleaning brush from a 38 caliber will work too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am

There’s a interlock on the pto engagement lever.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

darbaugh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby darbaugh » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks for the guidance. I was able to get it started yesterday. I went through and checked for the correct voltage and everything tested good. Cleaned the spark plug wire and I started getting a spark again. I also suspect there was an issue with fuel or air, had to take off the air filter and after two tries it started up and kicked out a bunch of smoke. After a minute or two it ran perfectly fine.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 pm

That sparkplug wire will bite us everytime. Being a mechanic from the 50’s with my dad I was all ears and eyes watching him. I notice the wire were it enters the ign coil gets corrosion.

Return to “Cub Cadet”