This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Post Counts Vs Reputation points

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Post Counts Vs Reputation points

Postby Jackman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:46 am

Since this is a feed back form thought I d give my opinion, post counts are use less why not replace them with something more useful like reputation points, each time you make a post that another member or multiple members find useful and positive they can send you reputation points and add a comment that build up and then show up by your signature, I only vist two other sites online Moparts.com which did away with post counts Yeahy ,,,, and Ford-Trucks.com that still has post counts but also has the rep points :big afro: ...... any way thats my 2 cents post counts are useless (anyone can make a post) quality is better than quantity, and rep points seem to reflect what you bring to the form and give you feed back from your fellow form members.
Last edited by Jackman on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Post Counts Vs Reutation points

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:49 pm

The problem with reputation points is that if somebody posts, let's say, something about a Kubkraft product, a few people may find that useful to them and may give points while others may already know about the service and won't feel compelled to reply.

Your idea has valid points, but I think the present system shows how active someone is. Whether they are wishing someone a happy birthday, saying thanks for info or explaining a complete mag repair, they are still participating in some way.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Yep I hear ya but just making a post and getting another post count is nothing imop, with rep points your actually getting feed back from other members and they can make a short comment that shows at the user cp too and a little beanie thing that shows your partcipation and how well you are appreciated by other for members that is seen by all form members, its just better to have feed back . I also just don't like a post count in fact if I could shut my count off even with out a rep point system I would for no other reason than the post count is just silly and useless to me

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Jack:

It may be silly, it may even be useless to some, and that is perfectly okay by me. But the whole rationale behind the post count is not for our own edification, but for the edification of others including the board admin. One of the thinks Dennis wanted to foster was a family at-the-dinner-table or around-the-fireplace kind of conversations that one does not see on other forums. This has been the outcome of the system as it is set up.

We could limit the forums to just tractor talk, but you know, that isn't how families work, and we want this community to be a family. So the post count in a kind of backhand way was used to foster the confidence in new members and in some old members as well, to visit regularly, echange ideas as often as they could, and even just build up their confidence using the internet. Many of our members just lurk and read, and many are student's of the net, trying to figure out how to do stuff. These forums here do exactly that.. because of the family atmosphere, the safe haven almost (no fear of being flamed), people can participate and become self confident and more self reliant on the net. As our societies continue to evolve and technology becomes even more a part of our lives than it is now, these are the kinds of learning venues and information accessible avenues that people are going to need to feel comfortable with the new technology.

The fact that we meld old tyme family values, antique iron, community spirit as well as a mentoring atmosphere really sets us apart from other entities and helps to keep a small farm/town/village feel to life in the "modern fast lane".
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Post Counts Vs Reputation points

Postby Jackman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:01 pm

Rudi the post count is just a post count and nothing else can't really build on that , the warm fuzzy atmosphere here is from the members and the tractor hobbiest in general not the count, reputation points on the other hand is all about the quality of the post fellow members can add to your rep when they see good knowledge or what ever and want to give the member some appreciation for sharing the knowledge ,,,,,,,, I don't know may be it just me but I really don't like or see a use for the post count , on the other hand a rep points system really adds to the site in terms of more fun in that you get to see some good feed back from form members on a post topics that in turn stay with you in your signature and user cp .

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:50 am

.....the post count is just a post count and nothing else can't really build on that......

So what. You could say a "rep count" is just a popularity contest.....if you are one of the "good ole boys", the count goes up. Personally, I don't look at, or care about, the the post count someone has. This isn't eBay, and I don't come to this site to be rated. I come to the site to learn from others, and to help others if and when I can, and I do not expect praise, nor do I want praise, when I do so. I believe most members of this forum feel the same way.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:52 am

Paul B wrote:
.....the post count is just a post count and nothing else can't really build on that......

So what. You could say a "rep count" is just a popularity contest.....if you are one of the "good ole boys", the count goes up. Personally, I don't look at, or care about, the the post count someone has. This isn't eBay, and I don't come to this site to be rated. I come to the site to learn from others, and to help others if and when I can, and I do not expect praise, nor do I want praise, when I do so. I believe most members of this forum feel the same way.

Paul,

I can't improve on your thoughts. Well done.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:39 pm

The post count is just that, a count of how many times you have made a comment. That and a buck doesn't get you a good cup of coffee, Althought the 501 pin is sharp.

As for the reputation points, well, I think everybody's reputation is pretty much well known without having someone give them points for it. I'm like the others, I just want good advice when I can get it. I think word of mouth around here as to who has the good advice is good enough.

If it had to be put to a vote mine would be to leave it alone.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Okay Guys I don't have the typing skills to keep up here so this is my last post on the thread, someone could make it disappear and that would be fine..

I just wanted to give some feed back and let the rep system be know :idea: , the rep system really is a cool and interesting addition to a site obviously I like and wanted to pass it along, as for the post count its just my opinion that it serves no purpose kinda goofy thats all ,the rep system would add more to the site maybe even attract more members.

Thats all I have to say great site here and everybody sure has good manners, very cool :D :D :D

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm

I would be more afraid that the rep count would tend to shy away those that are here more for the learning experience than the advice giving and yet wants to feel a part of and fully welcome to the forum. I for one know very little, so most of my post probably are insunificant but at least I do at this time feel very welcome and very much a part of this farmall cub family. :)

Jerry
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:49 am

Paul B wrote:

DITTO : My thoughts exactly ! :D :D

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Since this is a feed back form thought I d give my opinion, post counts are use less why not replace them with something more useful like reputation points, each time you make a post that another member or multiple members find useful and positive they can send you reputation points and add a comment that build up and then show up by your signature, I only vist two other sites online Moparts.com which did away with post counts Yeahy ,,,, and Ford-Trucks.com that still has post counts but also has the rep points :big afro: ...... any way thats my 2 cents post counts are useless (anyone can make a post) quality is better than quantity, and rep points seem to reflect what you bring to the form and give you feed back from your fellow form members.

I agree completely! Many forums use the rep point system. It separates the ada boys posts from the ones with real content. If anything get rid of any tracking system or just have the rep system.

So what. You could say a "rep count" is just a popularity contest.....if you are one of the "good ole boys", the count goes up.

And just how does that differ from the Cub Pro forum? Good ole boys nominating good ole boys into their fraternity.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:04 pm

The rep point system has its merits, but anyone can give good advice, regardless of how many posts or the length of time on the board, or 'grade' they may or may not have recieved. There are members that have been here since '03-'04 but with only a handful of posts. But when they do post, they are good. Why would you want to ignore a good post just because of the low grade of the poster because of lack of posts? If someone posts advice that is not sound, someone will correct it or offer a better way. If you are here enough, you know the guys that post just to post, and there is nothing wrong with that. This site is a community that communicates through the forum. The forums' purpose is for people to post, otherwise you would come here and see nothing new, except for a new post maybe every week or so.

WKPoor wrote:And just how does that differ from the Cub Pro forum? Good ole boys nominating good ole boys into their fraternity.

I really don't know how to respond to this statement other than it is just nonsense. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

I don't see how any further discussion of this matter can be constructive...Locked

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”