This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Profile Icon Recognizing Veterans for their Service

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

Profile Icon Recognizing Veterans for their Service

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Dennis:

I was curios if at some point in the future when you are tinkering with the format of the website, it would be possible to include a space within a members profile area to include a small icon to indicate they are a military service veteran or active duty member of the armed services as gratitude for their service?

Perhaps something as simple as a flag icon representing the country they served or a selection of branch of service icons.

I am not a veteran so this is not a self serving request but a way of recognizing and offering thanks to those who put their lives on the line for the freedoms we have today.

Thanking you in advance for considering this small token of appreciation.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Re: Profile Icon Recognizing Veterans for their Service

Postby randallc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 am

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 am

Speaking from the pespective of a veteran, I'm ambivalent about the idea. Being in the military is just something I did many years ago. I don't wear my veteran status on my sleeve and am generally just as happy to not talk about my status. I usually don't even bring it up until some non-veteran wraps himself in the flag and starts acting like one of the chicken hawks. I do love asking them which branch they were in.

If you didn't "pay your share", you can pay it now. If you want to do something to support veterans, here are a couple suggestions:
1) Encourage your representatives to FULLY fund the VA for what has been promised. Do you think it is acceptable to have a 10 month waiting period to get an appointment to find out if a medical condition is covered, much less get any treatment? (This is NOT an exaggeration.)
2) Pay your taxes and don't complain about it. I still think the Haak plan had merit.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1817&dat=19721031&id=2V40AAAAIBAJ&sjid=MJwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1863,5291349

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you for your service Sir.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 am

Last edited by Jack fowler on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 am

Jack,

As you stated about your time overseas, ditto describing my late father, a Veteran of the Korean conflict who like yourself seldom spoke of his service.

It wasn't till late in his life and unfortunately shortly before his passing when he opened up writing and publishing two fictional novels about how he survived the war told through a fictional character. ISBN-10: 1588511944. Nobody could have been prouder of that man than me.

I am also proud of my son, a 2007 graduate of the United States Naval Academy currently serving in the capacity of Naval Aviator driving a legacy F/A 18 C model Hornet off the deck of the USS Harry Truman.

You don't have to serve in the military to appreciate the military OR to thank a Veteran. I also need no guidance on the subject of helping Veterans, I know what to do and I fly the flag proudly.

As this may be belated by decades, thank you for your service Jack.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:26 am

R
Last edited by Jack fowler on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 am

Due to injuries acquired in Viet Nam, I have extensive experience with the Veterans Administration. I visit the outpatient clinic in Columbus OH, a dozen or more times per year. Years ago, you had the feeling that you were imposing upon them with your needs. Today, it's very different, they treat me with great respect and there is always someone anxious to be of service. I hope it's that way at all VA facilities! I realize that for someone trying to get in to the system, it may be a very different experience, due to a huge back log. I also know that they are making steps to improve that situation. I'm probably a bit bias, since my service connected injury means that I get priority treatment but I can tell you, it's not the same VA that we had 20 yrs. ago.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 am

Thank you for your service Sir.

Gary Dotson wrote:I visit the outpatient clinic in Columbus OH

Louis Stokes, a multi million dollar outpatient facility recently opened in Parma/South Cleveland to absorb the capacity loss of the recently shuttered Brecksville hospital, perhaps worth paying a visit.

http://www.cleveland.va.gov/visitors/Parma.asp

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Today, it's very different, they treat me with great respect and there is always someone anxious to be of service. I hope it's that way at all VA facilities! I realize that for someone trying to get in to the system, it may be a very different experience, due to a huge back log. I also know that they are making steps to improve that situation. I'm probably a bit bias, since my service connected injury means that I get priority treatment but I can tell you, it's not the same VA that we had 20 yrs. ago.

Based on what I have seen and heard, I think your experience is similar to the treatment most get at the VA. I hope no one interpreted my comments above to suggest otherwise. My complaint is with the difficulty of getting past the gate-keepers that keep you out of the system. VA healthcare has 8 priority groups for eligibility. (By comparison, Dante only had 9 levels of hell.) The challenge is to get through the system to even get assigned to a group. As I said, 10 months is not an exaggeration. I am concerned that unless VA funding is increased enough to handle the big influx of the last decade or so, the VA will have to control their expenses somehow. The obvious way to do it without public visibility will be to bolt the doors and not let many others in.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Jim Becker wrote:I am concerned that unless VA funding is increased enough to handle the big influx of the last decade or so, the VA will have to control their expenses somehow.

You would never know the VA had budget constraints or shortfall funding on the horizon. The newest VA outpatient clinic in the country http://www.cleveland.va.gov/visitors/Parma.asp has the outward appearance of a Frank Lloyd Wright designed bank building and the interior presence of an art gallery.

Don't misunderstand me, patients deserve a facility within reasonable travel distance of home and a clean, comfortable, and safe building.

The multiple millions spent on architectural design and construction as well as the million dollar interior trappings in my opinion, could have been better spent on patients or pensions.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the Veteran badge. I'd love to accommodate all of the worthy causes, unfortunately, space in the user profile is limited and I'd prefer to keep it tractor related.

I would suggest any veterans place something in the signature line regarding their service to their country, if they desire to do so.

Thanks and I always appreciate suggestions and feedback; it is what keeps this site growing and improving,
Dennis
USN 1970-1974
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I am a frequent flyer at my VA hospital. Having NUMEROUS service connected disabilities. I have nothing but high marks for the current facility that i use. TOP of the line staff, service and care. Even though i have insurance and could go elsewhere, why would I. I don't think i could get it any better any where else. Plus, i think the VA staff go that extra mile, civilian doctors don't care too.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Dennis wrote:Dennis
USN 1970-1974

You are welcome and thank you for your service Sir.

I understand your view, clutter is not good. Ounces add to equal pounds.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:10 am

Jim, I understood what you were saying about issues "getting into the system". I recently read an article in VA's little magazine, that addressed the issue. The article said that they have made major software changes to dramatically speed the process. I guess we'll see!

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”