This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Was it a Coyote?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Was it a Coyote?

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:49 pm

This past Monday I noticed what looked like a reddish grease spot in Flash’s fur in the middle of her back. She is always rolling in something so I never gave it a second thought thinking she got into something on the shop floor. Rosanne had gone out of town that day for several days and when she returned Wednesday the spot was still there. She said she has seen it on Sunday and thought the same as I did. She went to clean it and said under the fur was a large sore. She put some salve on it, but yesterday it didn’t look like it was healing so today we took her to the vet and they shaved around the sore. They found a huge pocket of infection and a fever of 105. The sore appeared to be a bite and a second, smaller one was also found.

The dogs will some time fight, but I have never seen them get that vicious nor have I seen them go for the back. I thought back and remember Friday or Saturday night I had heard a howl and then the sound of coyotes. At that point all three of the dogs were barking like crazy way towards the back yard. I am now wondering if Flash had been way in the back by herself and the coyotes had crossed the fence to get her and it was her howling from a coyote bite that attracted the other dogs to run to help her.

She is taking some heavy biotic and we have to keep her indoors until the sore heals to prevent flies from laying eggs on her. She was in poor spirits most of the day but is perking up a bit.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Was it a Coyote?

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Entirely possible.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Poor pup. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Flash weighed in at 67 pounds at the vet's today. That is about 7 pounds over what she normally weighs. She is pretty good at defending herself and if it was a coyote attack I'd say she did a pretty good job of protecting herself until the cavalry got there. Her sister Bandit is pretty feisty and Dozer doesn't take any guff from intruders either. Both those dogs can go from the porch all the way to the back fence in a heart beat.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Either coyote or even worse----COYDOG!!! ---they are NOT afraid of anything and will attack humans!--- so be on the look out! thanks; sonny

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 am

Yep, coyotes are everywhere now. Don't worry we shoot them on site in KY :)
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:44 pm

We have coyotes, and I'm more worried about other dogs than coyotes. Coyotes usually aren't very big, and pretty flighty. But you never know. Of course, we have wolves, cougars, and bears, oh my!
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:09 am

Barnyard wrote:This past Monday I noticed what looked like a reddish grease spot in Flash’s fur in the middle of her back. She is always rolling in something so I never gave it a second thought thinking she got into something on the shop floor. Rosanne had gone out of town that day for several days and when she returned Wednesday the spot was still there. She said she has seen it on Sunday and thought the same as I did. She went to clean it and said under the fur was a large sore. She put some salve on it, but yesterday it didn’t look like it was healing so today we took her to the vet and they shaved around the sore. They found a huge pocket of infection and a fever of 105. The sore appeared to be a bite and a second, smaller one was also found.

The dogs will some time fight, but I have never seen them get that vicious nor have I seen them go for the back. I thought back and remember Friday or Saturday night I had heard a howl and then the sound of coyotes. At that point all three of the dogs were barking like crazy way towards the back yard. I am now wondering if Flash had been way in the back by herself and the coyotes had crossed the fence to get her and it was her howling from a coyote bite that attracted the other dogs to run to help her.

She is taking some heavy biotic and we have to keep her indoors until the sore heals to prevent flies from laying eggs on her. She was in poor spirits most of the day but is perking up a bit.

glad to hear flash is doing well, now its time to load the guns
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”