2 Wheel Garden Tractor

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

2 Wheel Garden Tractor

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:24 am

I gave my daughter one with disc harrow several years ago for yard art. Daughter e-mailed yesterday and ask what the tractor was called. Told her the name and that she had the disk harrow attached backwards. Also gave her what I thought was a fair price.

Told daughter that I had two more 2 wheeled garden tractors, and that she could have one if she sold her present one.

Haven't used the 2 wheeled garden tractors for several years. They work great, but take more physical effort than an old man can stand.

Purchased a rotary tiller and installed a new engine. Also installed a new engine in a tiller daughter's inherited rotiller. So, no longer need the walk behind tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Re: 2 Wheel Garden Tractor

Postby v w » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 am

:D I had to smile at this one. Dad had one when I was about 10 and I would use it to pull my wagon . To start the engine, a B&S, you wound the starter rope around the crankshaft and gave it a pull. Since I couldn't pull very fast I probably spent more time trying to start it than using it. I could only do this if the sickle mower was on to keep the thing from tipping. Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 am

Considering the number of available attachments, they were very useful if you had a small garden, and didn't you didn't have room in the garden area for a larger tractor.

Years back a neighbor told me that the neighbor boys mowed 2 1/2 acres of field hay with 2 wheeled garden tractors. Said that it took them 2 days to mow the field.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:53 am

I use gravely walk behind tractors for a variety of tasks. Mower(sickle and bush hog), plow, tiller, cultivator and a circular saw blade that cuts small saplings. Love the walk behinds. Had a set of Bradley implements at one point, but couldn’t come across a tractor, so I sold the implements
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Have a montgomery wards plow trac, 2 wheeled garden tractor, with plow, that I'm going to hang onto.

I have used it to cut a 1 1/2" deep furrow for planting black walnuts nuts. Also cut a slightly shallower furrow around sons property for installing a dog electric fence.

Plowed the small garden plot at son's house because I can be done using the plow trac in less time than it takes to mount up the 193 plow on my standard Cub. Also have a cultivator and sickle bar mower for it, but never used them.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Belmam
Zip Code: 95050
Location: https://diceus.com/6-steps-to-build-your-custom-crm/

Postby Belmam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:33 am

The primary advantages I see are maneuverability, durability, and the attachments on a 2-wheeled tractor are going to be different than on a garden tractor (sickle bar mower, rotary cutter, chipper, cultivator, etc).