This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

white moths on tomato plants

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

white moths on tomato plants

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:57 pm

I noticed them when I tilled yesterday, and today when I was spraying with NEEM, there were dozens of them. I had waited till pretty late so the blooms were closed to reduce danger to bees, and the light was not very good. In flight they appeared to be small white moths, but when I saw one land a few feet away on a tomato cage it's wings were smaller and shaped different than a moth, and appeared to be translucent with a very light green tinge. Does anyone have any idea what they might be? I do have some spots where the leaves were curling as if there was a problem, but no visible signs of what it was.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: white moths on tomato plants

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:07 am

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Yup, that appears to be them, THANKS. I have already sprayed with NEEM, and have not seen any since. I watered them last night with oscillating sprinkler, 90 minutes early evening and again early morning. As soon as i can walk on the ground I will spray again with NEEM. My normal practice is to use Neem a couple times, then Sevin a couple times, and back to Neem. Seems to work pretty good that way.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bramvdk
Zip Code: 3155CD
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1953
International 633
Case IH Maxxum 5150

Postby Bramvdk » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:57 am

They are white flies indeed. Here in the Netherlands i used to work in a big greenhouse with tomatos, we had yellow colored glue traps that attracted the flies by smell. we also had little cards hanging on the plants with eggs of ichneumon wasps, these tiny wasps eat the whiteflies and their eggs.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”