This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Where to get Coal ???

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:58 pm

Well a few weeks ago with some help from Bigdog I finally got my coal, or at least enough for a couple of years for me. I was up Bigdogs way and we went over to Amanda, Ohio and got a pickup load for my shop. The guy that sold it to me is still trying to figure out why a guy from Ga would drive to Ohio to get coal mined in Ky. :D It'll be something to talk about for a while!!
Sure makes a good warm stove to sit by while working on Cub projects!!

Thanks Bigdog & Bossdog (cookies were great!!!!!)
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:24 am

8) Hi Ron

I finally got my coal last week. I was only able to get a half ton in my four cylinder ranger. I think its pretty neat to burn a "rock." My little brother stoped by yesterday said boy its warm in here :!: I looked and it was 76. I am still geting used to burning it. My stove has a door vent with a bi-metal coil to regulate heat. But the coal in the back goes out. So I have been closing the vent and have to crack the ash tray so the air comes up from the bottom and will burn eavenly. Its gone wild once or twice. But I'm learning.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:59 am

Takes a little getting used to but what my grandfather taught me came back once I started messing with it, but not before I had a cherry red top on the stove a time or two :oops: I open the bottom for a draft and adjust the damper as needed to regulate the heat. Burns real evenlso far.

Ron

2007 Cub Tug Champion

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info Ron

I have a 7"x12" flue chiminy. The gas hot water heater and furnance use it too. Seems when the furnance kicks on I loose draft to the coal and if its low it goes out. Unlike wood which it didn't bother. Starting now when I bank it for the nite I put wood on the right side and coal on the right if it goes out the wood will relight it. I should have replaced the furnance two years ago with a high efficency furnance that does nto need a chimney mine is shot just not in the budget. I need to get the lister going and see how much heat I get out of it. Hopefully between that and the wood/coal stove I will not need a furnance.

I haven't forgot about your spacers. My brother has been too busy at work and his projects. And I do not think I can cut it off strait with my old cutoff band saw.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:17 pm

Billy:

I have a 7"x12" flue chiminy. The gas hot water heater and furnance use it too.

I used to have a shared chimney flue with my wood furnace and my propane back-up. Was up to code at one time, but about 10 years ago, they made me separate them -- new propane installation. Also checked with my insurance and the fire marshall and building inspectors... NLC -- No Longer Code..

I would check with your local authorities... and your insurance agent. Best to know before something happens.. Here they seemed worried about blowback and excess infiltration of exhaust gases....

I never had a problem, but hey... to keep it legal, had to change it....

And, since I built a surround around my exterior chimney, I have better flue temps, no creosote buildup, no blow back problems at all. Works good!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks Rudi

I have always been a put it together and try it kinda guy. If it don't work go back and find out what I overlooked. I am not very smart but feel I make up for it in common sense. I do not know the math to figure out stuff but am very confindent in finding feeling my way through in a real world mechinal way. My little brother was over yesterday. Figuring out pulley size for the engine and generator using pie. Then went back figured it at belt speed inches per second at the engine and generator. I thought it was pretty neat waching him do it.

Billy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:31 pm

Billy:

Anybody who can do the stuff you can do, well... that says a lot right there. Besides... to me smart means natty as in a dresser... intelligence, now that is something else. There is book smarts, and real world smarts, book learnin and life's learnin...... all are good in their own right, but the first without the second is only half smart :!: :idea: :roll: 8) .

My Father-in-law God Bless him, is one of the smartest, most inventive able persons that I have ever met. Due to growing up in hard scrabble times, in the depression, and being one of the strongest in the family, he got to go to school for all of 3 months or so. Can't read a word, but boy, can he figger.... the stuff he can do is amazing.

He is an icon of real world smarts... we need people like him to make sure the world is a balanced place.

And, don't denigrate yourself... you are a pretty sharp dude.. and don't you ferget it young fella :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Rudi sure gotr that right.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Rudi and Bill thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to me.

Billy

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Billy,
I'm not in a hurry to get the spacer. Thanks for finding the right pipe size to make it. I can't find anything in my pile of scrap stuff that will work.
I read about the Lister and it will be 8) to see it in operation at Cubfest. Look foward to seeing you again.

Thanks
Ron

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”