This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chipbound Chainsaw?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Chipbound Chainsaw?

Postby WKPoor » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Bill (beaconlight)- I've got a new 24" bar and chain on my Homelite SXL. I'm having a somewhat unique problem. It cuts a little too good. It gets chip bound and locks up the sproket and chain. The chips can't get away as fast as they are being produced. It typically will spray them about 6' forward out over the top since I quess because only so much can come out the bottom. Its the craziest thing, if someone stands in front of me while I'm cutting they will get covered in chips. The chips come out nice sized and the saw handles the bar fine. Lots of power and plenty to spare. But here again it will lock itself up with chips that apparently can't all get out fast enough. Is this normal?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:54 pm

Man never had that trouble my self. I kind of remember Mike Murowski saying something like that one time. He had cut a lot off the depth gauges and was cutting forcing down at the power head end of the saw. He started rocking it in the cut so he alternated from the tip end to the power head, back and forth and he didn't stall any more.
I bought what was suppossed to be a new saw on Epay one time from a dealer. For some reason I took the tip protector off before I started it the first time. I noticed oil and sawdust under the tip. I put a bitch in through Ebay and the seller appologized and said he had accidently sent me the demonstrater. We made a money adjustment and I was happy. It cut good but smoked and bound up. Turns out the saw could take either 3/8 or .375 chain. The sprocket had to match the chain. He had .375 chain and a 3/8 sprocket. No wonder it was a return. No question in my mind about that. The saw still runs like a champ. I used it earlier this week while I was in the country.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:13 pm

I bought this saw in a garage sale of all places late in the day. Nobody wanted it. It wasn't even scratched underneath were its sits so I knew it hadn't hardly been used. Got it for $100.00 with 2 extra chains. My dad always has used the SXL so I thought I would give it a try. I love it! I know many rave about the Stihl but I've been on a log side by side with a new Stihl and SXL will blow it away. Damn good saw. :wink:

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:54 am

I have found with a 28" blade on mine I have to hold it back from the tree or it will load up. If I need all the bar I pull it out two or three inches then run it in to make the cut through. I am using a stihl ms 360 pro. The pro series has a faster chain speed the the std. The fastest saw I had was a johensered. How fast it will cut depends on the chain, power of the saw and chain speed. You could not give me a safety chain. I only run pro chains. Those safety chains don't let chips clear out fast enoght for me.

Bill I am still using a a old belt drive belsaw sharpner. I sharpen the blade 15-20 times before I toss it. I know peaple complain that they take off too much material. I do not know why some peaple do not use them right as it is faster and less wear on the cutter to do it right.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:50 pm

i'd have to agree with Cowboy jonsered is the fastest AND THE lightest chainsaw i ever used or owned. Just wish they had a dealer round here, i'd still have mine. You know i went probably 5 yrs without lubing the tip, WITHOUT any problems, and she still cut through anything, like it was butter when i decided to trade it in on an echo (wanted to jump ship before it did). Now i got twin echos, and me and the boy have races through tree stumps. course since i sharpen the chains, my guides are a little bit lower, and i go just a little bit faster. :lol:

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:13 am

Hi Doc

My johnseread came with a 16" bar and I ran it with a 20" total super bar for about 13 years till it got stolen from me. I loved that saw I used to keep the rakers cut back so far it threw tooth picks out. It was great when cutting aginst others with their fancy brand name saws and just blowing then away :!: :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 am

Cut so good somebody got envious and stole it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Unfourtanlly not. It was a dancer that was staying with me. :oops: :cry: :oops: And the chainsaw was the least that she took :oops: :evil: :twisted: Live fast loose faster :idea: :?:

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Cowboy, Was she worth it? :P Larry

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:22 pm

stop talking about them dancers. or i'll have to tell about them 13 that i was engaged to back in the late 80's. best $20 i ever spent. (CZ diamond ring) :oops: :lol: 8) :? :shock: :D

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:34 am

Ljw :evil:

Doc lookin for a cowgirl now. Got bored with the sene about five years ago. Want somone to work with me (insted of for me :?: )

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:06 pm

I have a Homelite XL-2 and have had it for about 15 years now. When it runs, it runs like a champ. However.. it really needs TLC on the carb and always fresh gas.

Cuts like a dream, is light to carry and work with. Have only used it once since the plumbing job, but it was still a joy to play with.

My Father-in-law used to have an XL-1 many years ago, but has since gone to Jonsered saws after doing the Poulan, McCulloch, Stihl and other brands as well tricks. He swears by his Jonsered, but I am not a great fan. I like my XL-2...

For the amount of wood I cut in the bush, it is perfect.. fits real nice into the custom saw box on my logging wagon too :!: :idea: :D :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:26 am

Cowboy wrote:Ljw :evil:

Doc lookin for a cowgirl now. Got bored with the sene about five years ago. Want somone to work with me (insted of for me :?: )

Now that Billy is what I call a good philosophy.
I don't think I've heard of one so simple and said with so few words, ever.
It's the same that's worked with Noëlle and I, thanks Billy
Pat

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:43 pm

My biggest challenge was finding one that would tolerate me. Guess I was successful, she's been here over 33 years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:22 pm

being married 33 yrs, man thats a long time. but that says lots about the both of you, congrats.

by the way, the wife and i are still yet to have that first fight. been together since 90, married in 92.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”