This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Interesting day getting garden ready.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Interesting day getting garden ready.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 15, 2022 9:55 pm

Due to all the rain delaying getting ground ready, and lack of tomato and pepper plants in stores, I was running late putting my garden out, and Thursday and Friday I overworked myself getting ground ready and everything planted before the predicted storms failed to show up. I have some health problems and am getting old, and I overdid it. I had 2 or 3 more passes to make when I hear a loud roar sounding like it is coming from the front part of the transmission, and my first thought is I blew a transmission gear. Then I realize the sound has moved away, and is coming back. It was an overcast hazy day, and I could not see them, but I suspect it was a couple of National Guard air craft out of St. Louis on training missions. They fly low over my place pretty regularly

My heart had finally returned to beating normally and I was making my last pass cutting a drainage furrow with my left wheel in the grass, when the furrow wheel starts spinning. I was plowing across the bottom edge where it is sometimes a little wet, so I just applied the right brake pretty heavily. I was running about 2/3 throttle in 1st gear, and the result I got was the front end started coming up. My brain is going "CLUTCH! CLUTCH! CLUTCH!" but by then my foot had the clutch all the way down, and I am surprised the stop is still on the side of the torque tube. I raised the plow up half way and got the same result, but was better prepared that time, it barely lifted a front wheel. Finally raise the plow up to the point it was barely skimming the ground and got past the spot. I thought about digging that rock up ot see how bit it was, but was tired, and still had a lot to do.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Interesting day getting garden ready.

Postby Eugene » Sun May 15, 2022 10:14 pm

Got rocks, some that big. Perhaps we could compare to see who's is bigger.

I only purchased some small sized strawberry plants for the garden at $4.?? a pot. Decent sized tomato plants are $19.99 per plant.

Last year was a bust for local gardens. No farmers market. Hoping this season is decent and we have a farmer's market.
I have an excuse. CRS.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Mon May 16, 2022 3:30 am

John, John, John,.....

Should have gave me a call. I was thinking you had that teenage neighbor to do your plowing, garden work, etc., so I didn't try to get a hold of you this spring. Give me a call for fall!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 17, 2022 10:46 pm

T-Mo wrote:John, John, John,.....

Should have gave me a call. I was thinking you had that teenage neighbor to do your plowing, garden work, etc., so I didn't try to get a hold of you this spring. Give me a call for fall!
My teen age neighbor just got his incense and a pick up. He is working at 2 jobs. plus going to school. I haven't seen much of him, plus i still like farming, but that garden is close as I come anymore. I have lost a lot of strength, and am trying to get it built back some by doing as much as I can on my own. I did over do it a little though and had to take it easy for a day. I have learned that when you are 74 years old and have had some bad health problems, including 3 1/2 weeks in hospital for Covid before the vaccine was available, I can't do as much as I did at 60.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed May 18, 2022 11:37 am

Glad to hear nothing got damaged. Sorry you experienced it though.

Hope your strength returns soon.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”