This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Retiring to the Farm

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

Retiring to the Farm

Postby lildog » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:41 pm

In my line of work, we're constantly trying to develop strategies to accomodate the coming wave of baby boomers about to reach retirement age. One thing we've been doing is looking at how other nations are dealing with the problem.

My boss just shared with me an article that I thought would be interesting to some of you. It's about how there's a growing trend among Japanese boomers (or the "big lump" generation, as they're called there), to look at a career in farming after they retire from business.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11178537/site/newsweek/
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:21 pm

lildog, Interesting article. As I am a baby boomer, I could understand their feelings. When Yazawa stated "return to the soil" I know what he's talking about. Many's the time I would sit down in the middle of a field and contemplate lifes ironies. Although Man has been domesticated, modernized and civilized, our inherent nature can't help but bleed through. Thanks for posting. I am not alone. :wink: Larry

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:36 pm

if I remeber correctly form different articles I've read, the average farmer in Japan ony has aobut 2 cows and 3 or 4 acres. Retrting to a farm in Japan is like retiring to a rural yard in the U.S.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:10 pm

Interesting, If the retirees would retire on 300 sq. meters and cottage, That would only be about a 50X50 ft. area. Not a whole lot by our standards. But in their area, maybe it's a lot of land. :o Larry

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:50 am

Now I know why I bought 40 acres just before I retired. Us depression babies have the same urge.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:21 am

I completely understand. Although my lovely wife begs to differ, there is nothing like getting dirt (or grease) under your fingernails to relieve the stresses of modern life.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:41 am

Our retirement home is in the middle of 30 acres. I can't imagine it any other way. We're in our 15th year here in our own little world.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:31 pm

I can sure understand how they feel. Farming being in our blood thru many generations our little patch (5acres) will do us. We can still grow and reap our hay, raise cattle. what more could we ask for, and of course restore Farmalls. 8)

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:20 pm

to me theres nothing like the smell of cut grass or soil after a day being chained to a desk. after living the hood in youngstown for a few years while in college, moving out to the county was a blessing
john

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:19 am

I must admit it...I'd like to have a small farm (10 acres or so) with several barns (or one, GIANT pole barn). :wink: I have a lot of friends (outside of our retirement village here on the lake) that have farms and the older I get...the MORE I'd like to be plowin'...plantin'...and mowin'! :wink:

Even here in East Tennessee...the farms are being bought up faster than you can say "There goes another real estate auction" :cry: Property taxes are gowin' up as more young folks discover the southeast and it's easy way of livin'! :shock:

BUT, inspite of NOT livin' on a small farm, I must admit that warm summer evenings sittin' with Carol Elizabeth down on the boat dock, feeding the ducks and watchin' fish jump...while viewin' those spectacular Tennessee Orange sunsets...LIFE IS VERY WORTHWHILE JUST THE WAY IT'S TURNED OUT! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”