This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chickens picking cont...

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:52 pm

W6NZ wrote:Thanks Ron, what great looking chics, good size too, what's the breed?.

Thanks ....... They are "Rhode Island Reds" .
Ron

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:16 pm

They are "Rhode Island Reds" .;

You will be looking forward to getting some lovely brown eggs. Somehow they look more appetising than the white. :)

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:05 pm

I agree with the brown eggs. The hens and roosters, which provided the eggs for these chicks, were bought last april as chicks :)
Ron

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Anybody with New Jersy Giants?

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:43 am

Rich. Do you have them? White or black? Jersey Giants are a huge breed of chicken :shock: .......... They also lay brown eggs ........
Ron

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedBess » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:50 pm

I have a small group of chickens with lots of space, good feed, oyster shells and clean water and still there was picking. It finally dawned on me that some birds were not actually picked. Standing quietly in their coop on a slow day is when I saw the unpicked birds plucking and eating the feathers from the rest. So in my instance it was a dominance thing. Since I have two coops I moved the bothersome ones in with tougher old hens and everyone has recovered. But with chickens sometimes you just can't tell why they pick.
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:32 am

Ah yes Rhode Island Red, what a chicken, we always had them if possible.
My parents, just after the war, regularly raised hundreds of day-old chicks that arrived by train, to provide eggs for the black-market, selling to london restaurants.
Shell and grit were always on tap all the time and a tin of Stockhol Tar was kept on a beam in the shed to dab on necks that got pecked, seemed to work.
I believe the problem is a mixture of dietry insufficience, boredom and heirarchy.
Most books I have read say to watch out for feeding egshells backto the birds as it encourages the hens to eat their own eggs. The only way to stop that is for the offender to go into the oven.
I do seem to remember something about roasting the shells first though????
Pat

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”