This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

too little time

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

too little time

Postby jakeesspoo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:49 pm

Well I got 20 chicks in last week and two ducklings, on top of that two of the rabbits I bred just had fifteen babies and Ive been cutting down trees for wood for the last two weekends. Sunday we brought two large trees down and found 3 baby squirrels now displaced. There eyes arent even open yet like some of my rabbits. Well I couldnt just let them lay so now there on the kitchen table in a homemade nesting box. Feeding them cow milk from neighbors farm with a dropper. Weve done this before, I hope they turn out ok. :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:47 pm

You're a hero. Squirrels look so cute, they're none here of course, and I believe they can do a bit of damage to gardens, but it's always nice to have wildlife running around. Hope they survive along with your other livestock. 8)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:44 am

If you want squirrels, I'll give you some, just come get them, but they are kinda dumb squirrels. They dig holes in the lawn and flower beds, but bury walnuts (closest tree is two houses away) in the crotch or fork of tree branches, in the corners of the supports for the roof over my deck, on the fence around the yard, etc., all out in the open, but they (the walnuts) will stay there until I move them. They run the birds out, of or away from, the bird feeders, and fuss at the dog - she's too big and too old to chase them anymore so she just barks at them, she never could catch them anyhow. Squirrel hunting is a Kentucky tradition, but since I live in the city, I can't do that, but I keep thinking about 'inviting' one or two of them to breakfast some moring.

Even though I live in the city, I think there may be more wildlife here than in some areas of the country. The guy next door has trouble keeping the wild Mallard ducks out of his swiming pool. I have had Canada geese resting in my front yard. A Downy Woodpecker seems to like a couple of spots in the cedar shingles on my house (or maybe the soft cedar is easier on his little woodpecker lips). You can see and hear the hawks screeching as they hunt through the day. The wood bee's like the pressure treated wood of the fence. A couple of years ago a deer was hit by a car, just two blocks away. You can even find one or two of Country Elliot's 'Possum's wandering around at night.

I would like to move out of the city, but no telling what I might find in my yard then.......but I will still give you some squirrels :lol: .

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:06 am

SQUIRRELS????? Don't EVEN go there with me.

Those pesky gray squirrels are nothing but agile rats with fuzzy tails. Wait 'til they move into your attic or chimney, then you'll understand.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:19 am

Well Jake, From the replies you have gotten so far it sounds like you should have Arsenic in that dropper instead of Milk. :shock:
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:39 am

Used to hunt Squirel on SI when i was kid. Hit somebody from Brooklyn in the butt ever since they put that bridge up.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:02 pm

I saved a baby squirel last year :D and it decided to make a house in my barn this year :evil: .

I think squirel stew will be on the menu soon! :twisted:
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 pm

I think squirrel stew will be on the menu soon!

I don't know how you can get enough meat from those things to make a meal! :shock: My dad hunted squirrels years ago. One time he shot one, and when he went to pick it up it was still alive. It chewed up his hand and finger pretty good. It didn't faze him. He was out hunting the next weekend with a bandage on his hand.
We have about 5 walnut trees in the yard and they just jump from tree to tree and very seldom run on the ground. But they give the dogs and cats fits. They don't bother my garden too much. They're probably scared of the animals.
Larry

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:25 pm

I, for one, admire your efforts. If it weren't for squirrels Carl would have nothing to entertain himself. :lol:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:09 pm

Or the neighbors either. I still can't get the image out of my mind's eye of him running through the neighborhood in his underwear shooting at squirrels. :lol: :lol: :{_}: :lol: :{_}: :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:10 pm

My neighbors can't get that image out of their minds either, John. It put an unusual twist in their Memorial Day cookout.

There is a new squirrel adventure, it's not nearly as exciting. No one else witnessed this one except my lovely wife. She's been out of town this week so I get to enjoy the results.
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jakeesspoo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:25 pm

I also hunt squirrels occasionally though not often because its not one of my favorites to eat. :) I would have no problem shooting one of them if they started living in my barn. I plan on releasing them in the back woods away from everything, Hell, I may even go back and hunt them some day but at least they had a fair chance... :) They seem to be doing O.K. My late grandfather used to have many flying squirrels and he would have one on a little leash connected to his flannel shirt and the squirrel would stay in his shirt pocket and come out and crawl around his shoulder and let the kids and everyone pet it. :D He was pretty well known around here for it, he would take them to the mall, the Ohio Veterans Home (his fellow vets got a kick out of it), the bar, even to my school when I was a little kid. They even had him in the local paper. I have no idea how he ever got into something like that besides having lived in the country, he was a carpenter by trade, so I guess squirrels must be in my blood... Truth be told although I love hunting and fishing and have no problem eating anything I raise or shoot I cant help but try to give everything a fair if not sporting chance :D And happy to report ALL the animals are doing good, although I did lose 3 out of my 20 day old roasters so Im out about $2.50... :)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Are the baby squirrels pinkies or did they already have fur when you found them?
- Louis Pasteur

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:32 pm

You guys are all heart. What about those long fluffy tails and cutesy eyes. :wink: :lol:

PaulB. Sounds like I don 't need any squirrels, rabbits do the same thing. apart from storing nuts of course. Then the rats would do that. :roll:

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jakeesspoo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:26 pm

the squirrels have a little fur on them although there eyes are still not even open yet. Im curious as to what type of squirrels they are. Two are black and one is whitish. Black and gray squirrels arent very common around here but there are some around so it would be cool if thats what they are. Im feeding them off of milk from the neighbors holsteins... :D My wife loves them, I told her she would love them even more with dumplings... :lol:

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”