This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

too little time

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 pm

I'm not having too much trouble with the squirrels, but the chipmunks are driving me crazy - digging under the sidewalks and the house and eating the insulation out of my barn!

I shot 27 of them last year, and it's time to get the pellet gun out again because it's starting to warm up.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:12 pm

chipmunks, those little critters,I remember the songs sung by the 'chipmunks". :lol:

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:32 pm

Well I see others are bothered by those nasty little critters. I had transmission problems with my van last year and it cost me only $65.00 to find a wire chewed off by them. I have always liked them until now. I won't get into how to get rid of em cause PETA would hound me to death but a lot of ways work (target practice etc.) My wife adopted a stray cat and she ended up giving us 2 more and is preggers again and they all love eating those little critters. Nuff said.!!!!!!
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:20 am

?@#% chipmunks Allen think its bad in you garage. They are in the walls of my house :!: Sound like I have a oppen window :roll: Buring corn seeds in my rose garden. Just found out my neigbor let 8 of them loose in his yard last year. I thought it was neet when I first saw them running round. Boy did I learn.

Gurmpy e-mail me the cure ok :?:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:54 pm

try putting some Bounce dryer softener sheets in your walls where they go in and out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:15 pm

Jake

Make sure after feeding them you rub near their output ports.witha warm wrung out soft cloth. This gets there digestion moving. Every notice a dog after feeding lick their pups behind? This is what you will simulate with the wram cloth. Unless you want to be their real mom :lol:
PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:19 pm

I had racoons. First they cane in through the Mushroom fan on the roof. I put 1/2 inch hardware cloth around the sides. They were still coming in so I put hardware cloth around the whole fan and laced it together with steel tie wire. The following spring they were getting in again. From marks on the roof and soffit, they appeared to be getting in through an old aluminum triangular vent with the screen rotted on side of the house near the peak. I replaced that with a new Square vent with Hardware cloth behind it. Last fall they were at it again through the vent on the other side of the house. I oppened up the mushroom fan. Everything was ok there so i poured 2 boxes of para moth flakes in. It stunk up the house but that evening one of the neighbors came over and said you should see what is crawling out of your attic vent. I got to see the second one crawl out spreading the vent and grabbing the shingles above make it to the roof. We saw 2 climb down the downspouts and out in to the garden. I got the ladder out and screwed a piece of hardwar cloth oner the vent. So far so good. Now that the warmer weather is here I will replace the vent and place hardware cloth behind ir too.
Any one want critters out the para dichlorabenzine does it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:05 pm

well, Im down to one squirrell, one of them died today and the other was on its way so I had to help. :( Lara was very upset, I hope the last one makes it. On a positive note I got two donkeys this weekend :D A jack thats 4 and a jenny thats 8. From what I saw going on today there may be another one coming in 11 months... :)

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:43 am

Jake

Wild animals are hard to raise,expecially the ones born in the wild. have not had any luck with mammals,but I raised 4 Srceech Owls from chicks. I used to work for the ODNR DOW. The Biologist I worked with, got a call and sent them My way. They were about 3 days old when I got them. I must have hit every neighbor getting house sparrows,Starlings ETC. to keep them fed. What a chore . They all fledged and were flying around the house for about a month. Catching beetles and what ever they could. Finally they left. Except one we named OWLY What a trip to walk outside at dusk and have it buzz over you with out a sound. He would hear us and latch on to the screen door and hang there. So we would open the door and he would fly in the house and land on the chair and TV, and just sit there. He would roosted in our shed during the day. We tried to have no contact with him and feed on his own. He hung around for about a month later than the rest. It was something my wife and kids will always remember.
PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Then there was the old story about a pastor who asked his conregation how to get rid of the squirrels around the church. After services a man came up to him and said, "Got the answer to your problem......make the squirrels members of the church, that way you'll only see them on Christmas and Easter!"
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”