This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brine smoking recipes

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Dennis B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Brine smoking recipes

Postby Dennis B » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:22 am

Looking for brine recipes for smoking venison, beef, fish ect. I have made venison jerky with a made up recipe I put together with brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and more ingredients that popped into my head. I would to hear of any others available. There's nothing like smoked meat if it's done right!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 pm

I haven't smoked meat in years. Brinkman is still in the garage.

Brine soaking. Two plastic garbage bags, one inside the other. 2 or 3 cans of beer and 1/2 cup salt poured into the center garbage bag. Put the meat into the garbage bags. Mix up the beer,salt,meat. Pull the bags tight around the meat so that all of the meat is covered with the brine. Refrigerate. Every day turn the meat over.

If the meat is thick. --Poke holes in the meat. Thin meat not necessary.

You can add any spices you like to the beer/salt mix.

Prior to smoking. Remove the meat from the brine and let air dry for a few minutes. (save the brine - put in the pan on the Brinkman.)

Mix up vegatable oil, salt, pepper and any other spices in a pan. Roll the meat in this mix and rub into the meat. Smoke.

Eugene

Dennis B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dennis B » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Eugene, Sounds like a winner. How many days do you let the meat soak. You had "turn the meat everday".

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:28 pm

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:51 pm

Well, it read right when I wrote it.

I usually let the meat soak in the brine for a day or two. Just a convienent amount of time. The thicker the meat the longer.

As far as turning the meat. I usually just slosh the beer, salt and meat mix around a bit then turn the package upside down. I have a very large bowl that the meat package goes into when refrigerating.

Smoked carp. Except for the small bones, it's the best eating.

Eugene

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”