This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

German Recipe Site

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

German Recipe Site

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:51 pm

http://recipesbycindy.homestead.com/GermanRecipes.html

Sauerbraten included. Dang, I spent 8 years stationed in Germany. I think I'm getting homesick for German cooking.

My mother in-law came over to visit several times while I was stationed in Germany. We went for an auto trip along the Rhine river. Stopping for lunch I asked my mother in-law what she wanted to eat. She wanted a tenderloin (breaded pork cutlet). I ordered her a jeagerschnitzel (cutlet smothered in dark gravey and mushrooms). Whoops! Mother in-law doesn't like mushrooms. She scrapped all of the gravey and mushrooms off of the schnitzel. - She wasn't a happy camper for the rest of the day.

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Eugene:

Jaegerschnitzel is my absolute favourite meal period... and believe me I like food.. jaegerschnitzel, haus gemachte bayerische naedle (spaetzle), heise rot khol salat, karrotten mit grunen bohnen and fried bread crumbs... hmmmm heaven on a plate :!: :idea: :!: :lol: Serve that with a real nice cold Alpirsbacher Klosterbrau and Schwartzwalder Kirsch Torte... hmmmmm smeck gut.. ja :!: :arrow: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Wise Owl » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:31 pm

:D :D Great link -- all the familiar dishes that we are accustomed to. I have placed this link on my favorites list for future reference.

Thanks Eugene! :D

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:45 am

Rudi, Bist du Deutsch?

My family is of 100% German heritage, and have actually traced our roots and made connections with our German "relatives"

They are still living on the Hengelsberg Family Farm near Osnabrueck that has been in the family since the 1300's!!! My father visited them 4 years ago and several of the Germans have been over to America since that time... what a GREAT way to feel connected.

The thing that they laughed at the most was when we had a barbecue and cooked Bratwurst and put is on a bun "like a hot dog." They took pictures of that to take home to their kids!!!

I LOVE GERMAN FOOD!!!!! (course, I love just about ANY food, but especially German!)

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Mike:

With my last name I would be what :!: :?: :?: :?:

Yes.. most definitely.. mir is eine erste generation Kanadische bei meine vater und eine alte Kanadisher bei meine mutter. Unfortunately since Em and I came back from the Schwarzwald 20 years ago, I have sort of lost my German... written was always lousy.. I used to be able to read it well and converse.. but now it is more a blind unco-ordinated stumble... :roll: :oops: :roll: :? :(

My dad was from Ermetshofen/Winterhausen which is near Wurzburg in Bayern. His sister and her family still live there and I am in contact with Dad's uncle's son and his family.

Here is a neat bit of trivia.

Emilie aka WiseOwl my better half, is almost 99.44/100ths pure Acadian.. but guess what..

After la Grand Derangement here in Acadie when the Brits took over and kicked out all the Acadians, the Pennsylvania Deutsche (commonly mistakenly refered to as the Pennsylvania Dutch) came to Acadie and settled here.. New Voices on the Shores by Dr. Rainer L. Hempel is a wonderful work on this.. explains it well. but.. to the point..

Much of the Acadian traditional foods have been derived from a blend of the German and the Acadian practices and things such as Poutine Rapee or as we ethnic Germans would know it as KartoffelKlose or the Rohe Kartoffel Knoedel and the Crepe Rapee (I haven't found one on the net yet.. so maybe Emilie will write hers up.. oh boy oh boy they are good... :!: 8) :lol: :lol: ).. or Kartoffel Puffer. Many other fine Acadian foods have roots traced to a blend of the German and Acadian.. and you can also see some of the Acadian in the German results as well..

Makes for an excellent meal either way. If you really want to try something top drawer and as good as any old country meal, you must try Em's Boeuf au Bovril. This is a family favourite and a must have. Even I make it although it never is quite as good as Em's... she says it is.. but I don't buy it at all :!: :arrow: :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, my Bratwursts are custom made for me... our friend Remo Degenhardt and his Dad have come up with a very lean, low fat and low sodium Bratwurst that is to die for.. it really is good.. either on the Barbie, on the grill, in a pot with sauerkraut or even on a sausage bun. However, if one is to use a bun with a Brat.... one MUST use a decent Dusseldorfer Senf (sorry this one is in German..) :roll: :oops: :roll: this one Sort of Translated by Google Dusseldorfer Senf and this is my absolute favourite Senf -- Image LoewenSenf or at the very least a good Dijon Mustard. Anything less would be blasphemy... :arrow: :wink: :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol: Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard which is made by Kraft is ok... nothing to rave about.. but ok when Loewe is not available...

Yes.. we love our food.. be it Acadian, German, Italian or even real good ethnic Asian foods too...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Psycho
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Psycho » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 am

I miss Grandma's rouladen. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bob
"If at first it doesn't move, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
1948 Cub, 1957 Cub

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”