This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Climate change: more grist for the mill

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Climate change: more grist for the mill

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:37 am

I get emails from Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine (my favorite seed company) and, pondering this week's heat wave, I thought some of you might be interested in chewing on this info, so for what it's worth:

Lindsey Rustad, who conducts research on climate change for the US Forest Service, ...talked to me about her international consortium of global climate change scientists, and their contributions to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report that is slated for publication in 2007. The IPCC Assessment reports are the final word on climate change in the scientific community. Lindsey says that the new IPCC report will restate the conclusions of the IPCC's last report in 2001, albeit with more forceful data about our climate's degradation.
You don't have to wait for 2007 to get their report's punch line, because somebody leaked it to the press, and the scoop appeared in a recent article in Nature. This is the crux of it:
"One critical number in previous reports has been the sensitivity of the climate to increases in greenhouse gas levels. In 2001, scientists estimated that a doubling of carbon dioxide levels would cause an increase of 1.5-4.5°C, but acknowledged that this range was little more than a best guess. The draft 2007 WGI report describes how new models and data sets allow the range to be properly quantified. It estimates the effect of doubling carbon dioxide as a rise of 2.0-4.5°C and, for the first time, suggests a single most likely figure: 3°C. This estimate is already widely accepted by climate scientists."
Each 1 degree C equals 1.8 degrees F, so +3.0 C = +5.4 F.

<snip>
In a nutshell, Dr. Rustad says that the new IPCC report, as well as the latest research, will propose (1) increased temperature, and (2) more droughts and more intense rain events.

Jocelyn, SO grateful for the break in the weather and this GORGEOUS day
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:55 pm

I read these things and wonder how the ice receded 100 miles Yes 100 miles between the 1750's and 1850's and we are causing global warming. Is it possible that we are slowing it down??????? I don't know and am sure that Isolated facts prove nothing.. The other curiosity is that upstate NY has had 8 ice ages. Some of them covered it with 10 miles thick ice. Again isolated facts but none the less fact.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”