This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pickles and labor day harvest

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

pickles and labor day harvest

Postby freebird » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:06 pm

Every year we can 60 lbs of dill pickles...hot ones, hamburger sliced, spears etc...also the garden is overflowing woth onions, tomatoes, green beans and zuchinni. This is just from today.
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

double R
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby double R » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Them sure are some pretty onions, I can't grow em like that here. And pickles are nice too.

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:50 am

This has been our best in 5 years. I put up a weedblock around the perimeter made out of black 6 mil poly. The tomatoes really like the heat. Also we are using weeping hose as to conserve water. It works better that a sprinlker...gets the water right at the roots.

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:46 pm

Wow those are some bi zucini to here when they get that big we run them through the food prosscessor for bread and thats about it. I dont eat squash my self but my wife ,Brother< MOM will only eat them when there about6" or so.
JON

farmall man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby farmall man » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:01 pm

I think there better when there smaller or eles they get to many seeds when there too big.
1956 cub 1947 M

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:19 am

Terry:

When it comes to zuchinni, neither Em nor I really like the little ones that much either. We prefer to let them mature. The really big ones are excellent for cooking with and adding to things like spagetti sauce, chili sauce and other dishes similar.

I remember our very first experiment with growing zuchini's back in 1988. Em was working for the government, so I was the house Dad for a while. We harvested zuchinis that year till they were coming out our ears, we ate em every which way. The last batch I ended up making 52 loaves of zuchini bread. Until one tries that, one really has not had a garden bread. Beats bannana or date bread by miles.. We still get large zuchini's, but we now limit the amount of plants we grow. It is also great in stir fry's, breaded and in the oven, breaded and cooked along with eggplant. The large one really lend themselves well to cooking. The smaller ones are nice in fresh garden salads or just to eat like a cucumber.

We have a really nice 6 qt Kitchen Aid with the food processor for lack of a better term at the moment, and we use that all the time for shredding our zuchinni and carrots. We also shred the larger cucumbers as well. One of my favourites is cucumber salad and thinly sliced or shredded cucumber on the bias is perfect after they have been seeded.

It is amazing what one can grow in a garden when one has the time to care for it. Harvest is a wonderful time of the year, but a good garden will provide all kinds of wonderful foods from 2 weeks after the intial planting say for radishes and other smaller veggies right through all summer till late September and early October...

I love gardening, and now that I have my Cubs, it is a whole heck of a lot less work :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:12 am

Rudi, I think we will go a little less on the zukes next year. We have so many I may set up an honor box out at the road and sell off what we can't use for 1 or 2 dollars apeice. I really like them in the spaghetti sauce too.

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:27 am

Hey Terry...My Mouth was just a waterin' lookin' at all those mason jars full o pickles :!: :!: :wink: It's nice to see folks makin' good use of their gardens :!: :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:24 am

Looks good, and makes me remember my younger days (about 5 years ago :lol: ). When I was still able to put out a serious garden we used to do the samething. Now however all we raise is enough for a little fresh stuff during the summer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:44 pm

Thanks. Pickles will be ready to open on Thanksgiving. We had a yard sale last month and if you bought 2 dollars worth of goods you got a free zucchini!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”