This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

shop

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:36 pm

George Willer wrote:
When I bought this property (1976) the previous owner did not set the treated wood poles of my horse barn (this is where I am keeping my tractors at present) in concrete. I sure wish he had. A lot easier to do it when the barn was built than now.

The poles will last longer if they're backfilled with clean washed stone so they can drain. Setting them in concrete will shorten their life.

Richard:

George is correct on that one. Clean pea gravel, 1/4 to 3/4 crushed stone with no fines.. etc., is excellent, and when tamped provide a good drained/dry spot for your posts.

I am using telephone poles.. these have been treated. A couple are old, but still in beautiful shape. Ray is going to drill 5 feet down and plant em.. ifn it is good enough for Aliant and NB Power, good enough for me. The creosote treated telephone poles are all Douglas Fir or Western Cedar I think.. and they will far outlast me.. and probably my kids as well..

So.. at 40 bucks a pop.. I would say $200.00Cdn is a good deal for most of the structure for my shop. They are all 32 feet long or better, so plant 5 cut em off at around 13 or 14 feet.. plant the off cuts.. and they should be fine as well.. The off cuts we may brush with mastic.. but haven't made up my mind yet.

Also, floating slabs.. will crack, I don't care how much rebar is in em.. really needs a frost wall. Frost walls are pretty pricey. Probably cost me in excess of $2,000.00 to fix the old shop and put new frost walls in on the extension. Then there is the pad itself.. nope.. not going down that road.. Can't afford it, certainly not on my VA pension..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:19 am

The poles will last longer if they're backfilled with clean washed stone so they can drain. Setting them in concrete will shorten their life.

Thanks George for the information. The previous owner set the poles in dirt. I was planning to shoreup that horse barn and then dig around the poles and pour in concrete. Now I am considering filling putting a little concrete below the pole and placeing some washed stone between pole ond concrete and then fillingin with wshed stone and capping with concrete with slope away from pole. Probably overkill.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”