This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TURKEY PEOPLE OUT THERE?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

TURKEY PEOPLE OUT THERE?

Postby Mag Man » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:14 am

I have had a bearded hen here all year there is three hens together and they have 7 babies with them all summer. I dont know if any are her's or not I am not sure if they can bread normaly but she has a beard about 4" long and not as thick as a good toms would be. Just something different I thought I would share.
JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:43 am

Jon,

Actually, bearded hens are relatively common. About 10 to 20 percent of the adult female population have beards. They can breed normally, just like any other hen. I have seen many in my 30+ years of turkey hunting. I've seen several partial albino hens, also. They are a very interesting and intelligent bird.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:28 am

THATS GOOD TO KNOW, I know that the law states one bearded bird or two in the spring. Not saying Toms just incase. We had a white or albino hen here a while back she did have some gold in her if I remember correctly. She was around for a few years in the woods and then someone hit her with a car or something. They probly thought she was a tame white bird but she was not.
I figured that the post above would make some people say he is just jerking my chain. :roll: But I have seen a few of them around here in NY in the past also Thats the bearded ones I mean. I did not know that they were that comon.
JON

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:20 am

A coworker recently lost a peacock from his barnyard. Thinking it was most likely gone, they still told the neighbors about it. Turns out, the peacock was roaming with a band of local turkeys. A hunter called the game warden, who happened to mention it to one of the aforementioned neighbors. They netted the bird, and he's back my coworker's yard. Albino is white- what's the word for a blue turkey? :wink:

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:28 am

Cyanotic. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:13 am

I live near the little town of Cheney NE which is SE of Lincoln. While barn building several times flocks of wild turkeys have come within twenty feet of me and my sons. We look up and there they are. They must have known that we were there as we are not the silent barn builders. It is always a treat to see them. Probably the same flock coming by to inspect the barn to make sure we are at least building to code.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:16 am

Just yesterday, on a back country road, a whole flock (about 12) of turkeys came flyin' across the road (I almost hit one). They were low flyers (about 5 feet off the ground). I have often seen wild turkeys feedin' or walkin' but this was the FIRST time I ever saw them FLY! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:22 am

Country, consider yourself lucky. In this area collisions with cars and turkeys is not uncommon, and the reuslts frequently are pretty good damage to a vehicle.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”