This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

fried okra help

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

fried okra help

Postby freebird » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Anyone have a good or easy way to fry up some okra? I saw a can in the store and it brought back memories of it. I am also thinking of battering it and deep frying it. Any suggestions?
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:40 pm

I bread my okra with corn meal...some may use flour. The trick to getting it to stick is wet the okra lightly with water or milk. When okra is not in season, I buy the frozen, breaded okra at the store. I have known some to pan fry okra...I use a Presto Fry Daddy and deep fry it. 8) .
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Yup.....we always lightly bread ours with flour and pan fry it. we use water to stick the flour, too. Not much else can top some home-grown, pan fried okra!!
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm not much for okra but I will eat my Aunts. She cuts it into 1/4" thick pcs and covers it in saltwater for an hour or so in the fridge. Then she said to take about 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal 1/2 tsp salt , 1/4 tsp pepper and mix in shallow bowl. heat about 1 " hot oil in cast iron skillet. (deep fryer will also work but tastes better in the skillet) Drain okra and roll in cornmeal mix and fry about 5 min and put on paper towels. If you like a thicker coating dip the okra in a well beaten egg before the cornmeal mix. Happy eatin. Dave
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Looks like me and Dave two DAMYANKEES like fried OKRA. Need any help with the eating I'll be right there. We grow it in the garden here on Staten Island.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:39 am

Yee-Haw--Yankees that not only know what okra is, but that its good
eatin' when done right!! FRIED!!

Bill
OKIE--or is that OKRAie

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:03 am

You're talking about one of my favorites. I can eat it any kind of way it's cooked. When I'm picking I even eat a bunch raw. But my favorite way is without breading. I'm not real sure how, but my wife puts the sliced okra in a cast iron skillet with a small amount of oil and some salt, covers it and lets it simmer, stirring it once in a while. I could make a meal with that in itself, but she usually cooks neckbone, cornbread and collards,
or mustard greens. I grow Burgundy okra that is a beautiful deep red while growing but turns back green when cooking.

hooterville hillbilly
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hooterville hillbilly » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:16 pm

I make a batter of corn meal and a beaten aigg (hey, this is Kentucky) with salt and pepper, deep fried!! It'll make a puppy pull a freight train!!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”