This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I need a tip from the farmers.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:09 pm

I am jealous.... I have a small lot in the big city and only rocks will grow on the rock farm. Suprises some folks but I have pears, grapes, asparagus, and a ton of raspberries.

I do have a suggestion.... if you can get a 'big' plow to go deep for ya, I would highly recommend Asparagus. It is just so good, very early in the spring to harvest and all you need to do is 'mow' it in the winter. Truly a lazy gardeners delight! If you haven't had fresh asparagus you are missing something.

I have had awesome luck with everything I have gotten from Miller Nurseries in upstate NY. My asparagus is about 15 years old and still going strong.
http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php ... tail&p=198

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Clearing 1 acre. Heavy duty weed eater and a brush cutting blade. Bit of manual labor but can easily be done.

Brushhogging the brush will leave stumps which puncture tires. I use the weedeater to cut the brush off at ground level.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 pm

Next fall after harvest, it would be helpfull to subsoil about 18-24 inches deep to break up the hardpan for the next season then plow as usual to turn everything under!
Some areas plastic work's well,----some it won't work at all, so just try-it-and-see for one year! thanks; sonny

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:32 am

Eugene wrote:Clearing 1 acre. Heavy duty weed eater and a brush cutting blade. Bit of manual labor but can easily be done.

Brushhogging the brush will leave stumps which puncture tires. I use the weedeater to cut the brush off at ground level.

Eugene

/////////

I would clear it with "Fire". Talk to your local fire department about a controlled Burn. :idea:
Then came Bronson

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:27 am

if you brushhog small trees always use dull blades the duller the beter. it shatters the stump and they rot out quuicker and less likly to puncture a tire. a sharp blade leaves sharp and sturdy stumps which take a long time to go away and puncture tires easily
Ron

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:46 pm

johnbron wrote:I would clear it with "Fire". Talk to your local fire department about a controlled Burn. :idea:

Controlled burn is an option. Whether it's a viable option depends on a number of factors such as terrain, location, near by buildings, near by vegetation, type of soil and equipment available to prepare the area for the burn.

The state Conservation Department (MO.) provides classes in controlled burning.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”