This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

JUDGING TREE HEIGHT WITH GEOMETRY

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Jim Becker wrote: OK, next question, how to do it without the clinometer/protractor? Here is a hint, it will be easier next week.

On a sunny day? Measure the length of the tree's shadow and set up a ratio of that to the shadow of an upright stick of known length. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:28 am

George Willer wrote:
Jim Becker wrote: OK, next question, how to do it without the clinometer/protractor? Here is a hint, it will be easier next week.

On a sunny day? Measure the length of the tree's shadow and set up a ratio of that to the shadow of an upright stick of known length. :D

That is the same as spiveyman's answer. I intended to also say without the stick. You need to know where you are.

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:52 am

GW- Are you tryin to steal my answer?! :evil: lol....... I'm thinking hard, but I'm not sure where Jim is going... :(
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:23 pm

spiveyman wrote:GW- Are you tryin to steal my answer?! :evil: lol....... I'm thinking hard, but I'm not sure where Jim is going... :(

No, Sorry. I guess I just didn't read carefully enough.

I think Jim intends for you to know your latitude which will affect the length of the shadow. (the azimuth of the ecliptic is knowable if you know the latitude) I'll have to think about it a little to understand what effect the spring equinox will have.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:24 pm

George, you are on the right track. I thought I would give everyone until the spring equinox (21st) to come up with an answer.

On the equinox, a bunch of complicating factors drop off. You can ignore all the complications described on this page:
http://www.jgiesen.de/analemma/

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”