This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

McCormick Cream Seperator What Will It Do?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 am

Mike:

I still remember the days of glass bottled milk with the paper toppers, the smell of a fresh dairy on my way to school. I remember the slighly hot individual ice cream tubs that somehow made it to class too.. but we won't go there.. :roll: :oops: :roll: :wink: :D :!:

Afraid of the pathogens?? -- I guess we never thought about that... it was just how things wer done, and we loved it. I used to be lucky enough to get real fresh milk.. ahhhhh the taste of fresh buttermilk too still lingers in me brain and on me taste buds.

I don't remember too many gettin sick from drinking fresh milk, I never did.. :?

I also remember my grandparents getting fresh milk from their neighbours.. They separated their own cream, made their own butter, and got us grandkids making butter when we were at the farm visitin. After the cream was separated.. and what was used for the butter was done up.. Grams used to bring out the ice cream maker and we would happily crank the handle on the churn in anticipation of farm fresh ice cream... I even remember the old style Ice Box.. before they had a new fangled fridge.....

Next to sittin on the back stoop with a dish of sugar and a couple sticks of rhubarb.. Ice Cream was next on the list of must do's at Grams and Gramps house... right after Gram's roast beef dinner... hmmmmmmmmm :!: :!: :!:

Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end. We were Young and full of dreams.. never once thinking our way of life would disappear... where have all those wonderful things gone.. :?: :?:

I yearn for them and I feel for my kids and their kids who will never ever experience those things nor have those memories..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:15 am

Rudi wrote:Afraid of the pathogens?? -- I guess we never thought about that... it was just how things wer done, and we loved it. I used to be lucky enough to get real fresh milk.. ahhhhh the taste of fresh buttermilk too still lingers in me brain and on me taste buds.

Pasteurization was introduced mainly to prevent spread of tuberculosis through raw milk. If you knew anyone unlucky enough to get that, you would think about it.

If you had milk from your own cows and the cows were free of it you would probably be safe. I would NEVER bet on it from anyone else's cow. When we had milkers at home, my mother used a home pasteurizing machine. It was a lot of work to turn raw milk into something safe.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:27 am

Nowadays, it is salmonella, listeria and e-coli. The main problem is incorrect cleaning of the teats before milking as well as sick cows (mastitis). All it takes is one cow to be "unclean" and you have a "hot tank" and have to throw it away.

Just once...I would like to take a walk on the wild side and draw me a glass of fresh milk...

Love fresh ice cream, too...but being in the ingredient business, I tend to go a bit further and add some of our patented "Keystone Stabilizers" to the product. Tastes the same coming off of the ice cream freezer, but it stores WAY better ifn you don't eat all of it at one time...

I am gonna have to churn me some ice cream really soon!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:47 pm

For a normal healthy adult, I don't know that fresh from the bulk-tank milk is a true walk on the wildside, but I do know that most of my neighbor farmers go to the store like the rest of us and buy skim (!) milk. The whole time I was growing up, we used to go to a friend's farm and just pull the plunger on the tank over one of those big yellow or brown Tupperware gallon jugs. Cream rose to the top by the next morning and the first boy up (usually me) could skim the cream for frosted flakes. Wow! What a way to start the day (when you're a kid and the calories end up on the playground).

A lot of farmers here will still sell you raw milk if you buy enough to make it worth while for them to mess with dispensing it. There are also a few places still doing old-time dairy- that is pasteurized, but not homogenized, as mentioned above. Goat and sheep dairies are much more likely to sell raw milk regularly it seems.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 pm

I remember from many years ago when very young children would be fed on goats milk if they could not digest milk from cows. I have never heard of milk from sheep being consumed by humans. What good features does sheep milk have to make it desirable for human consumption? Dan

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Sheep's milk has a higher fat content than Cow's milk. It also does not separate like Cow's milk and can be frozen until consumption.

The problem with Goat's milk is that the fat in the milk goes rancid from the time you take it from the goat and bring it up to the house to refrigerate...and rancid goat's milk tastes NASTY. My mom grew up on goat, and doesn't like the taste of cow's milk at all anymore. If you are able to separate the cream from the Goat milk, it actually does not taste all that bad...

In my business, I am seeing quite a bit of interest in goat's milk ice cream and other "dairy" products. Actually, just got a project to work on Sheep's milk ice cream...should be fun!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:59 pm

Like any other kind of milk- sheep's milk is good if you're trying to sell sheep!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Rudi wrote:Afraid of the pathogens?? -- I guess we never thought about that... it was just how things wer done, and we loved it. I used to be lucky enough to get real fresh milk.. ahhhhh the taste of fresh buttermilk too still lingers in me brain and on me taste buds.

Pasteurization was introduced mainly to prevent spread of tuberculosis through raw milk. If you knew anyone unlucky enough to get that, you would think about it.

If you had milk from your own cows and the cows were free of it you would probably be safe. I would NEVER bet on it from anyone else's cow. When we had milkers at home, my mother used a home pasteurizing machine. It was a lot of work to turn raw milk into something safe.

Jim:

Em's Aunt spent 2 years in a TB Sanitorium.. so yeah we know. But the point I was making was that years ago, we did not know and did it anyways.... not now, but back then we did.

My ruminating on the good ole days is for the tastes and the experiences.. there is no way I am going to run any of those risks today.. especially with my medical issues.. that just isn't sane.. however, again, ruminating about the taste is what I was doing..

And also... we used our goat's milk raw as our kids were lactose intolerant. We took the proper precautions and kept our milk cold as well. It was always fresh.

When we got more than we could use, the animals got lucky.... :wink: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 pm

It is interesting you say that about goat's milk and lactose intolerance...from all of the work we have been doing at Main Street, we have found that the lactose in goat and cows milk is relatively the same! Mother's milk is about DOUBLE the lactose of cow's milk as well!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:18 pm

Mike:

I know.. but for some reason that is what the Doc's back in the late 80's labeled it. All I know is that they could tolerate goat's milk. Now we find out that one of them can't handle soy either.. so.. oh well.. No Milk Today, Daddy's Gone Away (what tune :?: :?: )

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Rudi wrote:oh well.. No Milk Today, Daddy's Gone Away (what tune :?: :?: )

You thinking of Herman's Hermits?
"No milk today, my love has gone away
The bottle stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:19 pm

Kind of funny considering Peter Noon was a guest on American Idol last week..

and ahhh yup.. something like that.. never quite remember the lyrics.. but yah.. Herman's Hermits..

Why did I know you knew the answer Jim :?: :wink: :lol: 8) :D

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Rudi wrote:Why did I know you knew the answer Jim :?: :wink: :lol: 8) :D

Because I am old enough to know about TB and young enough to know how to avoid it?

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”