This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Homemade Dill Pickles

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Homemade Dill Pickles

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:28 am

My wife wanted a garden so this is the first year I've ever raised one. She planted some cucumbers, wants to make homemade dill pickles. My grandmother used to make sweet pickles, but I didn't care much for them. Anyone made dill pickles? How do you do it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:40 am

My grandma used to, but I couldt tell ya how she did it :( maybe my mom or uncle will know....I'll have to get back to ya!
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:45 am

I'm sure everyone has their own variation, but here is a start:
http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:53 pm

I hope they were the pickling variety, they just make better pickles. Now next time your at walmart get a Kerr or Ball canning,preserving book. lots of good stuff in them.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:08 pm

5 quarts water
1 quart vinegar
1 cup salt
dill
horseradish

Pack well washed, rather large cucumbers in fruit jars with plenty of dill and horseradish. Combine water, vinegar and salt, let come to a boil and cover pickles. Seal fruit jars.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm

my grandmother use to put green tomatoes in with her's. i don't care for tomatoes but they're pretty good pickled.
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Wed May 02, 2007 10:11 pm

We had cucumbers in our garden last year. We grew them on a trellis made of a 16' long cattle panel and two metal T-posts. Planted at about 8" on center we had piles of cucumbers everywhere most of the summer. How many plants are you talking about having?

I'll get my wife's recipe for both dill and bread and butter pickles in the next day or two and post it. She said if you don't like bread and butter pickles you haven't had the right ones yet.

And plant your own dill. It's a bit expensive bought in the produce section at the grocery store...

Dave

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat May 05, 2007 10:16 pm

My friend used to grow the on the side of his house.Two story that is!!!Best pickles ever!!Grew right up the chicken wire.Had a ^&%%garen in the city of Rockville Md.Great tomatoes.One reason I moved to Ohio ,get me out of the city.He had a good recipe for pickles I'll ask him.{Granny had the recipe]I miss her cooking.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Sun May 06, 2007 3:29 am

if you want the good polish style pickles, don't forget teh garlic!

home grown dill is good, but th ebest dill pickles you will ever eat are ones made from wild dill. the flavor is great!

I have a nice 50 quart pickling jar I inhereted from my grandma. It used to have a wooden lid, but is long since gone. the pickles that have come from that jar would melt our soul. the best pickles are the ones eaten in January, with some homemade pretzels. oh my, my mouth is watering from the thought. We make homemade beer, too, all from grains fromt eh farm. eat a few oven hot pretzels, a few homebrewed beers and wash it down with homemade pickles and you will be in heaven.

The best was grandma's homemade rootbeer. I will never forget teh time she experimented with raisins in teh rootbeer. The bulk of th erootbeer exploded, but the rootbeer that made it through was incredible!

If more people did small farming, the world would be a better place. The food that comes from our farm has to be better than any drug that exsists.
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Sun May 06, 2007 10:00 am

Well, I can't find a recipe anywhere, but I stumbled across this. I think this was my great aunt's recipe. I personally cant stand pickles, but I can eat a few of these. If you hvae any cucumbers left over, you might consider tryin this for fun.

Cucumber Rings

To prepare cukes to make the pickles, peel and slice ¼ inch thick and remove seeds. Should be shaped like a doughnut. You will need:

2 Gallons sliced cuke rings

2 Cups Pickling lime

8 Quarts water

Soak 24 hours. Drain and wash well. Cover with cold water and soak for 3 hours.

Mix : 2 Cups Vinegar

6 Tablespoons Alum

6 Tablespoons red food coloring

Add enough water to cover cukes. Simmer for 2 hours. Drain and discard water.

Heat the following and pour over cukes.

3 cups vinegar (apple cider)

3 cups water

15 cups sugar (yes, 15 cups- we only use Dixie Crystal, but I'm sure others will work)

8 cinnamon sticks

1 ½ cups of red hot candies (we use Mike and Ike hot tamales)

Next two mornings, drain off juice and reheat it (don't boil).Then pour back over the cukes. Keep lid over cukes to hold heat and steam in.

On the third day, drain off and reheat juice and pour back over cukes- Heat on low for a few minutes- Heat cinnamon sticks all along and put in jar with pickles. Heat jars to seal them. Enjoy!!!!

THey're kinda interesting if you have the time!
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”