This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

weed spray

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 am

Eugene wrote:
what is the wild rubarb weed actually called. i have alot of that stuff around my place and i cant kill it no matter how hard i try. i usually pull it up but it still comes back!!! i am going to look for that 2-4-D stuff now. thanks!!! john

Burdock. If it's not burdock take a sample into your local extension office. They can identify it for you. Also, there are a number of gardening books available with common weed examples depicted.

Eugene

It sounds like what we call Yellowdock. Eugene is correct about taking it to your extension office and let them identify it for sure.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon May 21, 2007 9:14 am

JBall8019 wrote

"what is the wild rubarb weed actually called. i have alot of that stuff around my place and i cant kill it no matter how hard i try. i usually pull it up but it still comes back!!! i am going to look for that 2-4-D stuff now.
thanks!!!
john"

It has been suggested that you take a sample to your local Extension office. For you, the office is in Cortland, at 520 West Main, Suite #1. Take the sample in and Steve Hudkins will be able to help you. Tell him Bill Hudson sent you.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Mon May 21, 2007 12:58 pm

I was told by the local feed mill that the wild rhubarb was Burdock.
He also suggested crop oil with the 2 4 D to reduce the drift.
He had another product he said was better and wouldn't hurt the trees but is was around $500 for 2 1/2 gallons! The 2 4 D and crop oil totalled $73 for 2 1/2 gal of each.
I did the open areas, stayed away fron the trees. I am going to check and see if I can use it next spring before the trees leaf out.
It took care of the dandelion, the Burdock usually comes later in the year.
The thistle either thrives on 2 4 D or the dandelion got knocked back enough that I can see alot more thistle now. I may try a second App. later.
Thanks.
49 Cub, 72 154 LoBoy

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sat May 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Trimec has done a good job for me. It will take care of dandelions,plantains,white clover,as well as many others. It will however drift similar to 2 4D.

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:05 pm

Does anyone know of a granular product that works similar to 2-4-D?
I used 2-4-D and am happy with the results but I would like to get closer to the trees with a drop or broadcast spreader.
I do not want a fertilizer, it grows too fast already I just want to reduce the dandelion and thistle.
49 Cub, 72 154 LoBoy

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Weed spray

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Did I read somewhere or just dream it, that 2 4 5 T, Agent Orange, has been reformulated and is back on the market? I need something that will kill trees. China berry to be exact. Some blew down during Rita. I have cut them up, but can't get the root ball out, and they keep sprouting.

Billy

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 pm

Try appying 2 4 D or roundup , brushed on to the bark and cut edges of the stumps,full strength as it comes in the container . It has worked for me on a number of different species of trees and brush. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Garlon 4 will work on woody stumps. Follow the label instructions.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:12 pm

I've never heard of 2-4-D. Is it sold under that name or under a brand name--and anyone know if it's sold in New England? I've used Roundup, Rodeo and at the moment I have the Agway brand ('Kleenup')--are they stronger or weaker than 2-4-D?

This spring I made the mistake of lightly tilling & then mulching (with composted manure & leaf compost) the garden area I inherited from the previous owner PLUS a big expansion. Given all the other chores & jobs attending our first year in the new place, this 'ideal' garden area was WAY larger than I could manage. I thought all that mulch would keep the weeds down. WRONG! :shock: I pull, yank, & mow but I've still got a bumper crop of noxious perennial weeds. Many are sprouting out of buried tendrils--brambles, vines, a horrible triffid plant that will grow out of the tiniest part of root that you didn't get... dandelions are a cinch by comparison. I'm getting desperate. I'm contemplating one dose of weed killer over the worst parts, then a light tilling & planting 'smother' crops like buckwheat. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
The Farm Lady
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Vegatable garden size. I have several rather small garden plots. 3' x 3'. 1' x 6' and 3' x 16'. Provides more vegatables that wife and I can use. Makes weeding a managable chore. Broken into several small jobs.

On your kill everything suggestion. That is what I would do. I would deep till the soil. Plant the green manure. Next spring deep till again.

Big problem with weed seeds is that they can remain dormant for many years. It may take several years to get the garden plot into shape.

Nice to see you posting again. No summer classes?

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:55 am

Weed b gone is one of the trade names for 2 4 D. many of the broad leaf weed killers sold at hardware stores, garden shops, Home Depot, etc. contain it. Check the ingredient list on the label. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:20 am

Hi Eugene! Yes, I'm teaching 3 summer classes--but online; right now I am on the last one, thank goodness. That means I do the work too late at night and on rainy mornings like today (Saturday in Western Mass.--WOW! did we have some thunder corkers this morning! Got me out of bed--about 2 foot in the air!)

Thanks, all, for the weed advice: :arrow: I found 2 4 D right away as the primary ingredient in the 'kill weeds but not grass' category (got some on a great sale--'spot weed killer' and a concentrate for spraying your lawn in the spring, like Scott's Step 2). Round-Up, Rodeo & the Agway product are 'kill everything' sprays that use the ingredient GLYPHOSPHATE. That's for desperate measures, but that's about where I am at the moment. I'm also going to do the newspaper smother trick: layer newspaper (thickly) over your garden bed, wet it/weight it down (the logistical problem is that dry paper blows away, duh), maybe shovel manure on it, and just leave it. Fortunately I have a pile of debris from gutting our kitchen, with lots of pieces of panelling and plywood--if you have scrap pieces like that, those are GREAT for smothering the weeds and keeping them from encroaching on your rows. We pulled out a ceiling full of '60s fiberboard 'tiles' and I'm using them between the rows. Anyway, till it all in next spring (not the lumber :lol: ) and I'm told you'll have smothered most of the weeds. I'm still skeptical--these weeds are the Arnold Schwarzeneggers of weeds! :? But I'll try it.
I do know it takes years to build or rejuvenate a garden bed... I was just getting my garden in eastern Connecticut to be productive, sigh, after 10 years :!: BUT my joyful discovery is that the soil here is FABULOUS! ANYTHING will grow in it. I've never seen a bigger summer squash plant, and my beans are growing like triffids. The happy thing is that, as I reclaim area from the weeds, and have more time ( :( ) this garden is going to be a big producer! :D :D

Thanks again, Farm Lady Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

--------------------------

"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: weed spray

Postby Rudi » Tue May 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Eugene:

Thanks for the name.. I knew it once, and it is one that is hard for me to remember, but I gots it now. We have lots of it here as well. It is a royal pain in the posterior.. and it gets it seed spread by animals or humans who come in contact with the burr.

Courtesy of Wikipedia the Free Dictionary.

Burdock
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Postby flyawa » Tue May 06, 2008 5:21 pm

I've had good results with "Tordon" for getting rid of brushy type plants. It also will kill poison ivy that is prevalent around here.
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Burdock. I use Roundup - realy soak the plant. Works well.

Another thought. The local farm and ranch store has a good sized booklet (free) listing herbicides. Lists commercial brand names and their generic names. Plants and generic names suitable for the plant. Also mix rate per acre. Actually the booklet is quite extensive, about 140 pages. Sample section titles: Household chemicals of insects. Household chemicals for/garden/lawn/ weeds. Sweet corn. Pop corn. Brush control. Also different crops.

OK. Just found the booklet. Titled "2007 Agronomy Guide". Put out by MFA Inc. Columbia, Missouri. I don't know if the phone number or web site are still valid -- For free copies call (573) 874-5111. http://www.mfa-inc.com
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”