This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Ducks

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JHaburay
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Ducks

Postby JHaburay » Tue May 08, 2007 6:48 am

Hi,
Thanks everybody who helped with information on my nesting mother duck. I know have 9 very cute babies who are all doing fine. She was diligent and sat for a total 31 days and then there they were. They seem to be doing just fine, love to swim in a shallow water "pond" I built out of a kitchen basin, and are eating like crazy. Looks like they are all going to make it. Does anyone think they will fly away on their own? I do not certainly want to keep all if any of them, and I am not eating them. I do have a nice park where they can all go to after a few months if they don't leave on their own. I have chickens as well so there is always food and water here, so I am thinking they may not want to leave. It was a good experience to go through the hatching with the mother though and kinda cool to go out in the morning, let them out of their house and watch them go to play for the day. I am glad I did it. ----John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 am

They will surely take wing and fly. How far or how long is anyone's guess.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue May 08, 2007 11:23 am

When they are old enough to fly on there own a couple three weeks. Stop feeding them .
They will leave.
Phil
I have ducks off as well. Wood ducks and hooded Mergansers. Trumpeter swans will be nesting soon.
I was going to post pictures. But cant find my usb plug from our camera. Teenage kids.
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:30 pm

I am down to 3 ducks and they can surely fly but I raised them from small and they love the cracked corn and the pond. I wonder if they would fly away if I stopped feeding them? A near by State Park...you heard of the book or movie " The Yearling" well Marjorie Rawlings old place is only about 12 miles from my home and they have Mallards that just graze or shovel with their bills in the dirt and they dont feed them either, but the ducks dont leave! Great place to visit.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”